Anyone believe that we create our own realities?

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think the fallacy with these theories is that they are too self-centred and stress the importance of a single human being/oneself.

I instead like to think that we're grains of sand in a grand universe that is totally independent to us, and in which we are utterly insignificant.

Reactions: Feeling it!

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
it's the believe that makes it feel like it's something we can control. in fact we can't make nor control anything. we can't make the reallety since we're bount by not only ourselves but by everything around us that makes our reallety. you can change your direct surrounding, and just focus on that and you'll only see what you wanna see and believe in, but it won't help people around you cause they can never enter your reality.
this also explaines why there are so many relegions... they're based on the enviroent of time, technology and place.
every thing is just based on chances, but chances in the south in in the year 100 ad were not the same as in the south 1300 ad or in the north 100 ad. we can't make realities just we can alter our own reallety... we can't fix everything around us, cause we don't interpretate it the same way.
there never can be one heaven, since it's never gonna be the same heaven for everyone... most likely your idea of haven would be my hell.
tell your idea of coincidences to those in syria, pakistan, afganistan, india...

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Yeah we can create our own realities in the sense that we work hard, move to the top and control the situation etc. So in a way, we are making our own realities are we not?

Personally, I have had a few deja vu moments but nothing more than that.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that every person put out energies that influence the world around them. Not straight up bend it to one's will, but those thoughts and the energy they produce will sometimes "nudge" things. It's really not much different than a person of a Judaeo-Christain faith praying to God, or a Wiccan/Pagan casting a spell in the name of their Lord and Lady, or a Buddhist meditating on some kind of symbolism, etc, etc, you get the idea. Those expenditures of energy, combined with working toward your goals helps to fulfill them. More on point, those energies are very much determined by your thoughts, emotions, point of view, all of that. Your thoughts very much so help to determine your reality, both in a metaphysical and psychological sense.
I hope I explained this one well enough, I'm writing at 2:30 in the morning after playing a lot of Halo Online. My brain is cooked XD

Reactions: VinsCool

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should read up on tulpas. It is a cool and scary idea and a possible answer to cursing or praying. There was even a collective project to create an entity that reportedly worked.

Edit: I forgot to add that some believe it is the reason behind cryptids, aliens, etc. They think the pop culture of stories drives them to be created for real and why some creatures don't seem to exist until a story which in turn causes an outbreak of encounters from all over.

Last edited by cracker,

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
If our thought had the potential to create something in reality (say, a cup of tea), as in thinking of a cup of tea was able to project a cup of tea into reality, then the reverse would be logically possible. You could think of nothing, project nothing into reality, and everything within your scope of influence (e.g. The amount of reality you can perceive at one time... Everything you see in front of you?) could wink out of existence like some kind of anti-matter annihilation event.
Good point. I'll try it next time I'm on a noisy train ;)

Another aspect that you might consider is that your level of cumulative knowledge would limit not only your control of reality but also could potentially cause disaster to occur inadvertently. When driving, you might wonder how all the mechanical components of the vehicle work together to allow you to drive, and in your lack of understanding you might influence something the wrong way and cause the vehicle to break down. And the knock-on effects that follows, e.g. The car crashing into another and collateral damage...
Another good point.

The brain is not capable of processing the entirety of that information all at once, at the time,
And this, I believe, is where spiritual belief comes from. The human brain is not capable of perceiving, processing and comprehending the variables which influence many everyday experiences, so they are interpreted as random, or having been influenced by a higher power.

And then you also get the suspension of causality effect to consider, where if you observe something, but then your view/perspective gets blocked or obscured, and things happen that you can understand but can't directly observe, when does the effect take place. I'm referring to Schrödinger's cat experiment here. A living cat gets put into a box, and the box is filled with poison. Logically you know the cat should be dead, but until you see the dead cat, you can't confirm its current state... So it exists in a state between life and death until you open the box and find out. Poor cat...
I disagree with Schrodinger. The cat is either alive or dead. Just because no human mind perceives which state it is in, does not alter the physical reality of the cat's existence. I think Schrodinger was arrogant to state that just because a person does not know whether the cat is alive or dead that it exists in both states simultaneously.

The above can be explained by having a universal consciousness, external to yourself, that is keeping things in check... Keeping the order of reality (and causality). In Berkeley's idealism, this would be the 'universal observer' (also referred to as God's mind and external reality in other philosophies), so even things you can't see will still continue to exist, will still continue to experience cause and effect, and might still include someone sneaking up behind you to stick a dagger in your back. Just because you never observed them, and were never aware of them, doesn't protect you from getting stabbed because an external observer is always watching and making it possible to happen.
Why do we need a 'universal observer' to 'allow' these things to happen? The person who stabs you is the one who 'makes it possible to happen' by doing it. Whether the victim notices or not, there is still a second party (the assailant) who carries out the behaviour. No need for a third party observer in this instance.

The model I prefer to subscribe to is the one others have already touched on... Rather than your consciousness affecting reality directly, it only affects your perspective of reality. Your knowledge, understanding, and viewpoints all make up a filter through which you experience reality. This is why depressed people find it easier to see things pessimistically and people in love see things with rose tinted glasses. Reality still persists and one car crashing into another will still happen no matter how much you try and influence things with just your mind. If you want to change causality, you have to use causality yourself (e.g. Stopping the crash by blowing up a big balloon between them... But you'd have to have such a balloon already at hand). Well, my explanation and example might be messy, but you should be able to understand the point. You influence your own internal reality, which is your perspective/filter/reflection of reality, but external reality is beyond that influence.
I completely agree.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I may or may not believe in this. Everything that have happened to me is too minor and are very possibly coincidences.

You should read up on tulpas. It is a cool and scary idea and a possible answer to cursing or praying. There was even a collective project to create an entity that reportedly worked.

Edit: I forgot to add that some believe it is the reason behind cryptids, aliens, etc. They think the pop culture of stories drives them to be created for real and why some creatures don't seem to exist until a story which in turn causes an outbreak of encounters from all over.
I thought a tulpa is an entity you create with your mind but is independent from your consciousness?

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not sure I understood your question... We all have a part in shaping the world around us (most of it is not by our own will though), just the fact that we're using electrical energy right now contributes to that. But if you meant we have some sort of paranormal power that allows us to shape reality... then nope. I don't believe something until it has been proven to a reasonable degree (also what do quantum mechanics have to do with this?)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now here's a thought:

What if instead of on an individual basis, you were to combine your theory with the collective consciousness theory that @Originality talked about?

That way, you inadvertently had control over the universe, but only to "swing" it in a direction that everyone else happened to be as well, rather than "willing" something to happen

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now here's a thought:

What if instead of on an individual basis, you were to combine your theory with the collective consciousness theory that @Originality talked about?

That way, you inadvertently had control over the universe, but only to "swing" it in a direction that everyone else happened to be as well, rather than "willing" something to happen
so basically The Universe is Twitch Plays Pokemon?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there is astral projection where you can edit the astral plane to your liking.
tumblr_inline_mkq8fpvnif1qz4rgp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs