Homebrew Anybody working AHBPROT Emulator channels?

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
qwertymodo said:
Skater4599 said:
AHBPROT has actually been knows for some time now, it just was not that usefull until IOS58 came along with USB2.0 modules. "Officially"

No, it was useful, and used. It's just that until now we've known it as DVDX (since DVDX was the old way of activating it, before they integrated it directly into HBC). USB2.0 has nothing to do with the usefulness of AHBPROT because AHBPROT enables direct hardware access from PPC, bypassing the restrictions of IOS for things like direct DVD reading, so it bypasses IOS entirely... meaning a new IOS has nothing to do with its usefulness.

You are correct, I should have worded differently. I knew all of this, Its still very usefull, I just personally Use cIOS's i dont have a problem with them on my wii, I've used cIOS for USB 2.0 since it was first written to do so and have had 0 problems with it. So I never needed/used AHBPROT stuff, not that its not usefull
tongue.gif

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Skater4599 said:
qwertymodo said:
Skater4599 said:
AHBPROT has actually been knows for some time now, it just was not that usefull until IOS58 came along with USB2.0 modules. "Officially"

No, it was useful, and used. It's just that until now we've known it as DVDX (since DVDX was the old way of activating it, before they integrated it directly into HBC). USB2.0 has nothing to do with the usefulness of AHBPROT because AHBPROT enables direct hardware access from PPC, bypassing the restrictions of IOS for things like direct DVD reading, so it bypasses IOS entirely... meaning a new IOS has nothing to do with its usefulness.

You are correct, I should have worded differently. I knew all of this, Its still very usefull, I just personally Use cIOS's i dont have a problem with them on my wii, I've used cIOS for USB 2.0 since it was first written to do so and have had 0 problems with it. So I never needed/used AHBPROT stuff, not that its not usefull
tongue.gif

Yeah I figured as much. It's nice that they finally managed to get free of DVDX for that access. One less dependency = that much less confusion. And I agree on the cIOS deal. I have nothing against them (I actually use WiiFlow for all of my games, so... yeah I use cIOS), but for homebrew that doesn't involve game loading, trying to debug someone's issue with a specific app always had to start with figuring out their cIOS configuration, which just wasted a bunch of time hunting down non-existent bugs that were due to the wrong cIOS being used. Or like when Tantric's IOS202 v1.1 broke WiiExplorer's title listing feature. It's just going to make everything so much more stable to be able to ditch cIOS in favor of sane IOS. So much less of a headache...

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
I've just tested it, and the forwarder alone is not enough to enable AHBPROT. I rebuilt the latest WiiMC forwarder and inserted it into a channel using CustomizeMii and loaded WiiMC through it. Everything worked except DVD. The official forwarder works fine. Maybe Leathl can update CustomizeMii to support the AHBPROT flag.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
yea, cwstjdenobs already mentioned that after doing all that, u additionally need to unpack the wad and hex edit the tmd, then repack it.

And I wouldn't count on Leathl making a return to the wii scene anytime soon. He and I used to be in somewhat regular contact, but I haven't been able to reach him in months (maybe since April or May), last I heard he was busy IRL working on his thesis!

TBH, there is only one other person I would trust to take over Leathl's work, and I've actually already suggested to him he mod customize mii, but right now he's busy with other projects (I think he's got a zillion projects on the go at once!).

FYI, an alternative to hex editing the tmd... in theory, you should be able to install the official WiiMC channel via the installer, then dump it to a wad using bluedump, then open it in customize mii and replace w/e else u want and the tmd should stay the same (if u replace the dol, make sure its set up to use IOS58 for AHBPROT)

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
No point in extracting the WiiMC channel and going through all of that when you can just create a channel from scratch... Just curious does anyone have a link handy as to exactly what byte in the tmd it is that needs to be changed and what value to change it to?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus

Tantric

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tantric said:
Hielkenator said:
For anyone who missed it, and does'nt want to get to technical,
Tantric is working on "official" forwarder channels for his emulators.

Just be patient.
In the mean time I'll load the emulators from the HBC, wich enables DVD support to the emu's ( AHBPROT)

These are done.
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/FCE_Ultra_GX#Wii_Channel
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Visual_Boy_Adv..._GX#Wii_Channel

I don't suppose we'll see a snes9xgx one too? That's my favorite emulator of yours.
smile.gif

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
y even bother him about that? It'll be released soon, he's released channels for wiimc, fceugx and vbagx, naturally snes9x is gonna be next!

edit: sorry if that sounded harsh, i'm half asleep

Eh, never hurts to ask. I'd assume it's next, but I've seen how often assumptions make an ass of a person.

Tantric

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not the one making them, wilsoff and MrNick666 are. And they haven't finished the Snes9x GX one yet. It'll be released once it's finished.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tantric said:
I'm not the one making them, wilsoff and MrNick666 are. And they haven't finished the Snes9x GX one yet. It'll be released once it's finished.

Ahh. Cool. Thanks for letting me know.
smile.gif

I really appreciate your work BTW. It's some of the best homebrew on the Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sicklyboy, Hey