Hacking Anybody try sending mod attempted wii back to N?

thomaspajamas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so my friend tried to install a Wiikey for me and one of the soldering pads came off. We put it back together but now the eject button won't work and it won't read the disc thats in the system (the wii channel just keeps showing the disk spinning over and over again, even though it sounds like the disk isnt physically spinning at all). From what I read on a MaxConsole thread, it seems like we might have blown a fuse.

So what I'm wondering is, has anybody who has screwed up their Wii trying to put a modchip in, tried to send it back to Nintendo hoping they might overlook the fact that you voided the warranty?

Or if you tell them you voided the warranty, how much do they charge to repair it (or would they even repair if you had tried to mod it)?

Thanks

link459

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'd just recommend trying to cover up your tracks really well, clean off all the solder, and try sending it back.

If they see that you attempted to mod it, they'd probably just send it back, then you could ask how much they'd charge.

That's what I'd do.
tongue.gif

JesterDev

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is a bit risky but it might work - When my DS needed to be returned I just called them up and told them about the issues. They sent me a new DS telling me to just send the old one back in the box from the new one.

So they just might send you a new Wii first and then you send off your old one. However I hear that they now ask for a Credit card just in case you never send yours back. They didn't ask me for one at the time.

Just a thought.

opnr2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well return it, and if they ask you did someone try to mod it or open it, all you have to say is you bought it used, so you don't know what the past owner may or may not have done.
tell them you want it repaired and you are willing to pay for it because it wont be covered by warranty since its been opened.

LCL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just double check the ribbon cable , i had the same problem and it was only because the ribbon cable connector was unclipped and the cable did not do contact.

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Could be a bent pin in the power connector, the bigger cable you pull out. Or it could be that the ribbon cable isn't seated properly. A solder pad that fell off won't cause those problems.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well return it, and if they ask you did someone try to mod it or open it, all you have to say is you bought it used, so you don't know what the past owner may or may not have done.
tell them you want it repaired and you are willing to pay for it because it wont be covered by warranty since its been opened.

you dont have a warranty if you buy something 2nd hand.

thomaspajamas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice guys. We'll open it up again next week to double check that we put everything together right.

But if it still doesn't work, maybe if we clean up all the solder enough we can just say that when the dvd drive stopped working we had to open the system to get our game out---because the warranty says to make sure theres nothing in your system when you send it in for repair, because they wont send it back.

and we didn't want to lose our precious game, so we had to open it...
smile.gif

opnr2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

you dont have a warranty if you buy something 2nd hand.

Don't use warranty, just pay them to fix it. Its a much better option than buying a new wii.

shonosuke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for all the advice guys. We'll open it up again next week to double check that we put everything together right.

But if it still doesn't work, maybe if we clean up all the solder enough we can just say that when the dvd drive stopped working we had to open the system to get our game out---because the warranty says to make sure theres nothing in your system when you send it in for repair, because they wont send it back.

smile.gif

1.Stop using "we" your typing this alone and not 2 people
2.Thats called scamming and its illigal

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
are you sure you plugged in all the stuff you unplugged when you put it back togeather? because my friend's eject button stopped working when trying to get his wiikey in.

jim327

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for all the advice guys.  We'll open it up again next week to double check that we put everything together right.

smile.gif

What was the point of that post?
Since you were so quick to correct his terrible mistake I thought I might point yours out!
ILLEGAL is not spelt "illigal"
CHILL OUT!!
cry.gif

shonosuke

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for all the advice guys. We'll open it up again next week to double check that we put everything together right.

smile.gif

Since you were so quick to correct his terrible mistake I thought I might point yours out!
CHILL OUT!!
cry.gif

Mine was just a typo.
It annoys me when people talk in pural

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
just do the walmart switcharoo.

That's a good option too.

Otherwise, call them up and play dumb.

A local friend did this and it worked fine. He had a bad Cyclowiz and eventually screwed it up after having to solder and desolder over and over again.

I need to follow up with him and confirm it all went through ok. They were sending him a Wii no questions asked.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for all the advice guys.  We'll open it up again next week to double check that we put everything together right.

smile.gif

CHILL OUT!!
cry.gif

Mine was just a typo.
It annoys me when people talk in pural

we dont like your flameing.
mad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c