Anybody here experiencing these problems?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by Bri, Jan 6, 2008.

Jan 6, 2008
  1. Bri
    OP

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I saw that there is more than one person complaining about problems with their DSTT carts
    here and (*shudder*) here. They seem to be problems with the contacts (the second link being particularly gruesome).

Anyone here experiencing similar problems?

-Bri

2. Brainy142

Member Brainy142 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    seems to be a problem with the contacts... 2nd one looks like it fell apart... I hope none of the pecies are in his ds... looks like the problem is build quality... man I can't believe someone could make something as bad as the datel games 'n music... atleast it wouldn't SHREAD... the spring would break after a while... and it was slow...

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    well they are cheap, you get what you pay for.

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I have yet to experience any hardware issues with either of mine, which have been in use for about two weeks now.

5. ndsdave

Newcomer ndsdave Advanced Member

Australia
    No real major issues here. That image looks like the card has snagged on something and been forcefully removed. May be worth inspecting the contacts and surrounding area inside the DS Slot 1. I have found with different DS's, the DSTT may require a very slight wiggle from side to side to eject completely. Also, the spring loaded Micro SD slot can also require a wiggle, but I can cope with that

If the DSTT is faulty, just return it for a replacement. I wouldn't butcher it out of curiosity.

6. Bri
    OP

United States
    There are similar complaints for other carts (such as M3 DS Real) as well, so it's difficult to tell just how often defective carts occur. There are even some reports of M3 DS Real carts killing the NDS Lite. I was just wondering if anyone from this forum has experienced similar problems with the DSTT, and so far nobody has so (hopefully) the problems are fairly isolated.

-Bri

7. pinky

Newcomer pinky Member

Australia
    I've got one as well as an R4 and it works a treat, wife uses it everyday and it hasn't left the DS and the SD card hasn't left the cart (she likes the games on there hehe) will let you know if it's a pain to remove.

8. jscheibe

Newcomer jscheibe Member

Canada
    Have been using my DSTT for probably 3+ weeks now with little to no issues, have ran into the "freezing" issue on load but remedied that with the shim between the ds and dstt(contact side), cart has not left my DS since as the microsd is spring loaded and i can push it with a fingernail and remove just the microsd card. Had an R4 previously and am liking the dstt better so far.

9. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    3+ weeks of daily use, no problems whatsoever, tho ive only taken the dstt out maybe twice, and same with the sd card...

10. Darkon

Newcomer Darkon Member

Canada
    Well, there's very little reason TO take it out. The damn thing does just about everything you would ever plan on doing with a DS.

11. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    weird that 3V will melt plastic like that. I still haven't got mine since dealx didn't want to ship it [​IMG] I just wanted something different. M3 Real still dominates.

12. MrN !

Newcomer MrN ! Member

New Zealand
    I got 2 from DX last week, and one doesnt work at all [comes up with no card inserted at the NDS home screen] and the other works sometimes. [othertimes the NDS freezes with the warning screen half-drawn on startup]

That same card comes up as "no cart inserted" on my DS Phat. [the partial working is on my ds lite]

13. Bri
    OP

United States
    I posted the OP before getting my DSTT. I have since gotten mine and I have to say that I have had no problems at all.

So it's not clear how wide-spread those problems are, but the problems that do occur seem to stem from the cart not making contact properly. I wonder if there wasn't a bad batch or something.

-Bri

14. arsehat

Member arsehat GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Not really - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2837

If there's a defect inside the cartridge that causes it to draw excessive current, that's one possible outcome - note that the melting is centred around pin 8, Vcc. There are three grounds - 1,7,17 - although I suspect that 7 is primarily a signal ground. With 100% of the fault current flowing through the spring that makes contact with 8, it obviously got quite hot - the others, sharing the load, not so much.

What I find particularly odd - and a little disturbing - is that the internal fuses in the DS didn't blow.

15. HereIsTom

Newcomer HereIsTom Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I have also the DSTT card and have no problems, but I have heard that some people have problems with the contacts.
    A tip is to put a small paper in the port for the MicroSD cart and then put in the MicroSD cart.

I would say If you have problems contact your dealer and complain!