Anybody have a 003 - USA wii they want to donate to science?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by giantpune, Aug 5, 2010.

1. giantpune
    OP

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I have figured out a possible way to fix a 003 wii that currently has the USA system menu and setting.txt stuff. I am using a hacked ( but not fakesigned ) copy of SSBB to trigger a "bug" in the recovery menu and then it will boot the retail copy of the disc. My hacked iso is 7.1GB, but i think this will also work with a 500MB iso. This means that, in theory, anybody with a modchip may be able to fix these wiis. Though, I have not bothered to burn this disc to test, so I only know that it works running from a wode. The problem is, I don't have a korean wii to test this out on.

Does anybody have one they would like to donate to the cause? I will gladly send it back when I'm done with it.

2. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    just gonna post so I can find and track how this is going.

3. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I don't have a korean wii either, but thought I'd help get this topic alive and vouch for you GP at the same time.

You've made a zillion things now and I'm 99% sure this will work just because it's you posting.

So I've got a simple Q that you've not explained in the first post... ? ? ?
    Can the Korean Wii someone sends you already be bricked ??? (I think yes)

If anyone is reading this and has a Korean Wii then why not send it, and if GP says a bricked one will do then you've not really got anything to lose. You would be part of the 2 man team that saved a lot of peeps from the 003 bricks and I'm guessing a bit of a hero to some.

Sorry I don't have a K Wii m8, but if we keep this topic alive I'm sure someone will turn up very soon [​IMG]

4. Abkarino

Member Abkarino GBAtemp Regular

Egypt
    i'm glad to see this here i have about 3 bricked 003 Korean Wii and i'll be happy to test your method but sorry i'm from Egypt and it'll cost me alot for shipping my Korean Wii to USA it maybe cost about New Wii Price [​IMG] so if you can tell me how can i test it and what about your game hack that you applied to SSBB to let it run from Recovery Menu [​IMG]

5. giantpune
    OP

United States
    what do you mean bricked? the 003 error makes it bricked. the wii had to be working for them to update to 4.2+u and get this error. but in order to get that error, you must have a functional system menu and its IOS. you also need IOS36 for the game to run. i supposed this would also work for mail, banner, and theme bricks.

6. Abkarino

Egypt
    So please can you figure out how did you get this trick to work then i can test it here and give you my feed back
    i have a retail copy of USA SSBB also i have a backup of it and DriveKey Modchip to test.

7. requiem_mortis

Newcomer requiem_mortis Member

United Kingdom
    Apologies for the daft question but why does the title of the thread specify 'USA wii' with responses talking about 'Korean' wii

Sorry but I'm confused [​IMG]

8. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    003 errors only occur when a Korean Wii has been region changed to any other region (U/E/J) and then updated to 4.2/4.3 (without first installing IOS60 to slot70/80 and increasing the version number).

So this method is targetted at fixing 003 errors found on Korean Wii's that have been region changed to USA... it will only work on USA wii's because smash stack only works on USA wii's.

@Pune,
    great work on this, I hope u get all the details worked out, I'll try asking one of my friends with a 003 bricked wii to send it to you... but its only in his possession because he was attempting to repair it for someone else, so we'll see what they say...

I don't know how u do it... u must start on a new wii project every day! Mario Kart Pwns, now this, not to mention that other stuff u are working on behind the scenes, u are on a roll! [​IMG]

9. giantpune
    OP

United States
    the error happens when you change a korean wii to some other region. keeping a korean wii in its own region is its intended use by the manufacturer.

for all the people that have a 003 brick and its not USA region, good news for you, too. i did the same magic with my Jap copy of brawl and it works. This doesn't help you to fix your wii at all, but at least you can play this game from the recovery menu.

@ xflax
    i actually stumbled on this one. i was trying something else out and it didnt work. but i happened to try to boot the legit copy after the failed attempt with my hacked iso and it worked.

10. Abkarino

Egypt
    So this means that your patched SSBB USA not worked anymore but a not patched copy can run from RM?

11. XFlak

Canada
    It means Korean Wii's that have been region changed to Jap should be able to autoboot SSBB allowing them to play it on their wii with the 003 error, but it will not help fix the 003 error on the wii because u still wont be able to use the smash stack exploit which only works on the USA copy of the game.

So basically, if u have the 003 error on a Korean Wii RC'ed to J or E, you can use it to autoboot the game and play it, but that's about all ur wii will be able to do (without finding another way to fix the 003 error)

also, IIRC, the Euro version of SSBB can already be autobooted, so if the wii was region changed to E, then u shouldn't need to modify the SSBB ISO to play it (but again, it wont assist u in actually fixing the 003 error)

edit: AFAIK, this 003-error solution won't work if the wii isn't already capable of playing backup discs either via modchip or cioscorp/darkcorp (kind of goes without saying, but I thought I'd mention it)

12. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    did you mean that as a triple negative?

ps: DARKCORP wii's would not likely have error 003, cIOScorp could though...I guess 4.3 003 could still be a Darkcorp machine.

13. XFlak

Canada
    @noobwarrior7, very good points, I edited my post accordingly. Cheers

14. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    i happen to have a wasabi dx and plenty of K003 wii.. some of them have no fake signed ios36. and definitely maui's guide wont work on it.
    what ios 36 did you mean? faked signed? or not?
    i'm from philippines and shipping wii's to US will cause me a lot..
    if your willing to, i gladly test your work..

15. Sabin_Figaro

Member Sabin_Figaro GBAtemp Regular

Colombia
    This will help much, since until now, SSBB just won't boot. It will be a great tool for unbricking in general. Looking forward to it if you decide to release it.

16. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Great work you are doing here, giantpune.
    Now if you could get Mario kart to boot SSBB this would be a solution for all region Wiis. ;D

17. suchatd

Newcomer suchatd Advanced Member

Thailand
    How do u create iso that run first? which game to be mix?

18. Abkarino

Egypt
    i asked him for that but he told me that we will not release any tutorial about how to create this Mixed ISO before he test it will and got a newbee method for this [​IMG]

19. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    owch! [​IMG]

maybe this is not for noobs...

20. suchatd

Newcomer suchatd Advanced Member

Thailand
    So we should wait till giantpune got donate 003 wii to test, and release it to public [​IMG]