Anybody get Steam to install on Debian x64 without Removing Nvidia Drivers?

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to install Steam on my Debian 64-bit system, but it keeps demanding all these cruddy 32-bit libraries. Well, one of them happens to not like my Nvidia drivers and demands I uninstall them. To make libraries for my videogame manager and launcher to work. Counter-intuitive, eh?

Anyways, anybody find a workaround? I won't uninstall any drivers, so I'm not left with many options unless there's some trick I'm missing.

IncredulousP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now there's a whole list it wants to install. I said screw it and went to purge steam, but guess what? The same damn dialog popped up saying I have to undo what the Nvidia-installer did. So now I'm in a state where no matter what I do, it wants me to revert the nvidia installation.

So I went ahead and said yeah, undo it. Fine. You win. And what did it do? IT HUNG. What a buggy pain in the ass this process is.

Edit: hahaha now my OS can't boot. Looks like I'm diving back into grub cli, wish me luck!

Last edited by IncredulousP,

IncredulousP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, after several installing/uninstalling/repairing GRUB/repairing drivers/booting successfully/reboot to a crash/desktop somehow uninstalled itself/booting to tty/etc. I have finally fixed it.
DO NOT install steam using the binary from their website, use the repo instead: apt install steam
DO NOT install driver NOR steam WITHOUT FIRST having enabled 32-bit libraries: dpkg --add-architecture i386

I installed my video driver and steam before enabling 32-bit architecture, and hot damn did my OS become an unstable mess. It had multiple failed installations of video drivers and shit was ALL KINDS of broke, constantly asking to uninstall such-and-such driver but then hanging in infinite loop when attempting to do so. So I got to a state where I could at least log in to tty, I enabled 32-bit architecture, uninstalled steam, reinstalled the Nvidia driver using the binary again from Geforce site, the driver asked if I wanted to install the 32-bit binary compatibilities (which it said before but I now realize my OS hadn't yet been configured to allow 32-bit libraries), then installed steam from the debian repo and BAM. It works!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end