Hacking Anybody check out Neimods flickr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neimod...that bastard still lingering about? I thought the latest and greatest advancements in the hacking community left his ass in the dust long ago. Fuck that douche bag.

People like him make me sick, such hypocrites lie in the hacking community. But they all seem to have decent size brains compared to that nutjob.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Neimod...that bastard still lingering about? I thought the latest and greatest advancements in the hacking community left his ass in the dust long ago. Fuck that douche bag.

People like him make me sick, such hypocrites lie in the hacking community. But they all seem to have decent size brains compared to that nutjob.
Say what you want about neimod's morals, but the guy is brilliant. The scene wouldn't be near the position it is now without his hardware work.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not publicly. Unless you count 3dbrew.

There are more ways to spread knowledge than releasing homebrew binaries.
The problem is that he didn't spread anything but hype.

So he ragequit over an accusation. People need to develop tough skins on the internet. I won't deny his talent because he's clearly one helluva hacker and knows his stuff. I give him my respect as a programmer, but as a person to socialize with, yeah, not the kind of guy I'd want to piss off.

Yeah you should know, getting banned from Emukid's forum after all(the guy responsible for the PS1/N64 emus on Wii)

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Since when? I don't recall him ever releasing anything.

Yeah, I remember following him a year and a half ago with my old 3DS (Which I sold because I had hoped the 3DS Homebrew scene would have been alive by then), and all he released was eye candy of "exploits" and a bunch of strewn hardware all over a desk. Then he stopped for like 5 months, and ended up taking down his photo-stream completely.

So far, he hasn't helped with anything, so why should we care?

Reactions: SolidSnake95

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I remember following him a year and a half ago with my old 3DS (Which I sold because I had hoped the 3DS Homebrew scene would have been alive by then), and all he released was eye candy of "exploits" and a bunch of strewn hardware all over a desk. Then he stopped for like 5 months, and ended up taking down his photo-stream completely.

So far, he hasn't helped with anything, so why should we care?

Exactly. Yet we'll still have people coming at my throat for his sake, it's totally preposterous. I reckon that this will blow bigger than I wanted it to and will probably piss him off even more. Which could be a good thing, what the 3DS hacking community needs is work, not hype.

udo4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you guys all seem quite keen on turning on Neimod. Firstly, we have no definite proof that Neimod was part of Legacy release group at all. This is all simple speculation and is hardly grounds for accusing him of being a hypocrite. What ever happened to thinking critically and requiring proof before coming to any sort of conclusion?

Secondly, Neimod has no obligation to anyone in the scene. The fact of the matter is that he was interested in hacking the 3ds. For what purpose, who's to say. Perhaps it was a simple challenge and his subsequent success made him feel proud of his accomplishments. Hence, his post that he hacked it. There is no crime in posting your accomplishments on the internet as far as I know. In fact, most social networks out there thrive on such impulses. Perhaps he simply wanted to tease us. If this is the case then it is also his right to do so as well.

The fact of the matter is that Neimod is a telented hacker. His skills are definitely genuine and he deserves a lot more respect from the scene. If anything, he has my respect in spades regardless of his unwillingness to release anything.

Have you ever stopped to think that there might consequences to your criticism of him? What is the point of bashing people in the community? The only thing this will do is make people quit the scene which ends up hurting the larger community. While you are all entitled to your opinions please be mindful of what you say... Then again, this is the internet were people assume that you dont' have to be mindful when writing things since it is "anonymous."

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys all seem quite keen on turning on Neimod. Firstly, we have no definite proof that Neimod was part of Legacy release group at all
But it doesn't matter if he was or not. That's not my beef with him even if he is a hypocrite. My problem is that he has made a huge spectacle of himself pretending that he was going to release something for us to use. He then preceded to get butthurt when others found ways to hack the system. Thus his progress greatly diminished, that or he's just quit being public about it.

Secondly, Neimod has no obligation to anyone in the scene. The fact of the matter is that he was interested in hacking the 3ds. For what purpose, who's to say. Perhaps it was a simple challenge and his subsequent success made him feel proud of his accomplishments. Hence, his post that he hacked it. There is no crime in posting your accomplishments on the internet as far as I know. In fact, most social networks out there thrive on such impulses. Perhaps he simply wanted to tease us. If this is the case then it is also his right to do so as well.
Indeed he doesn't have an obligation, although maybe he does...a moral one. Getting on here teasing people pretending to help out and release things. I haven't even seen any sort of code released from him that would help the scene in any sufficent way. All I've seen is him pumping his muscles for attention, and he didn't count on getting the bad kind.

While you are all entitled to your opinions please be mindful of what you say... Then again, this is the internet were people assume that you dont' have to be mindful when writing things since it is "anonymous."
Correct I have my right just as he does his, if he has a right to troll us then I have a right to bash him for it.

udo4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But it doesn't matter if he was or not. That's not my beef with him even if he is a hypocrite. My problem is that he has made a huge spectacle of himself pretending that he was going to release something for us to use. He then preceded to get butthurt when others found ways to hack the system. Thus his progress greatly diminished, that or he's just quit being public about it.

Indeed he doesn't have an obligation, although maybe he does...a moral one. Getting on here teasing people pretending to help out and release things. I haven't even seen any sort of code released from him that would help the scene in any sufficent way. All I've seen is him pumping his muscles for attention, and he didn't count on getting the bad kind.

Correct I have my right just as he does his, if he has a right to troll us then I have a right to bash him for it.

Ok, this is going to start sounding like a flame war. I am not interested in flame wars. I will not continue to argue about this but here is my stake on the matter (again with no disrespect towards you solidsnake95. i am definitely not going for your throat since I believe that you are entitled to your opinion.). ;)

Most of what you say about being "butthurt" because other people released hacks is, again, speculation. How do you know that he was hurt or even bothered at all. The promise of a release was, as far as I am concerned, never uttered by him. In fact, quite the opposite. He claimed that he would not be releasing it. He even explained that the message on 3dsbrew.org not to update was mainly for developers in the hacking community. If you had those expectations, it was not founded on Neimod's announcements.

Furthermore, I completely disagree with your use of "moral" obligation. a moral obligations requires that someone does the "right" thing because it is "good." The fact that you say he has a moral obligation highlights the fact that there is a bias in your opinion of him. You seem to think that his releasing an exploit is the "right" and "good" thing to do. Clearly your values are not the one's Neimod shares and he is thus not bound to your expectations. By your values, he might be "wrong" for doing this. But your values are not the de facto standard for everyone in the community. By your definition he was trolling. By his definition he might have been celebrating for all we know. You say he wanted attention, perhaps... but you have no evidence of this either. This is your perspective of it. If he did want attention, more power to him. Why does this bother you? doesn't everyone want attention in our day and age? We are, after all, emersed in a web 2.0 celebrity filled culture where everything we do should be publicized (hello facebook!). who isn't in seach of narcisstic attention these days...

Finally, the fact that he catalogued his findings on 3dsbrew.org is definitely useful for the community. I would highly doubt that other hackers, possibly even Gateway themeslves, never used any of it. Thus, it is useful in my book. Again, I do think that it is frustrating that he never released anything. but attacking Neimod for this (calling him a hypocrite, saying he was butthurt) seems rather too personal. Are we dissapointed in this... most of us would be. I, however, refuse to take it out on him mainly for the above reasons. I guess what I am trying to say is that we should allow for a diversity of views before taking it out on people. Just because our expectations are not met does not mean we should take it out of the very person that broke new ground. What he does with it is his own choice.

Reactions: setsuya and NEP

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Since when? I don't recall him ever releasing anything.
A great number of articles on 3DBrew is neimod's and without that, you wouldn't see the Gateway or actually any other 3DS hack. The job he does mapping the system matters, it matters a lot. So he doesn't share his exploits - big whoop. Most of the exploits that are released wouldn't even exist if not for all the information stored on 3DBrew.

Reactions: Obveron

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, this is going to start sounding like a flame war. I am not interested in flame wars. I will not continue to argue about this but here is my stake on the matter (again with no disrespect towards you solidsnake95).

Most of what you say about being "butthurt" because other people released hacks is, again, speculation. How do you know that he was hurt or even bothered at all. The promise of a release was, as far as I am concerned, never uttered by him. In fact, quite the opposite. He claimed that he would not be releasing it. He even explained that the message on 3dsbrew.org not to update was mainly for developers in the hacking community. If you had those expectations, it was not founded on Neimod's announcements.

Furthermore, I completely disagree with your use of "moral" obligation. a moral obligations requires that someone does the "right" thing because it is "good." The fact that you say he has a moral obligation highlights the fact that there is a bias in your opinion of him. You seem to think that his releasing an exploit is the "right" and "good" thing to do. Clearly your values are not the one's Neimod shares and he is thus not bound to your expectations. By your values, he might be "wrong" for doing this. But your values are not the de facto standard for everyone in the community. By your definition he was trolling. By his definition he might have been celebrating for all we know. You say he wanted attention, perhaps... but you have no evidence of this either. This is your perspective of it. If he did want attention, more power to him. Why does this bother you? doesn't everyone want attention in our day and age? We are, after all, emersed in a web 2.0 celebrity filled culture where everything we do should be publicized (hello facebook!). who isn't in seach of narcisstic attention these days...

Finally, the fact that he catalogued his findings on 3dsbrew.org is definitely useful for the community. I would highly doubt that other hackers, possibly even Gateway themeslves, never used any of it. Thus, it is useful in my book. Again, I do think that it is frustrating that he never released anything. but attacking Neimod for this (calling him a hypocrite, saying he was butthurt) seems rather too personal. Are we dissapointed in this... most of us would be. I, however, refuse to take it out on him mainly for the above reasons. I guess what I am trying to say is that we should allow for a diversity of views before taking it out on people. Just because our expectations are not met does not mean we should take it out of the very person that broke new ground. What he does with it is his own choice.

I see your point. I'd much rather pin my hopes on Smealum though. He at least seems promising and gives me more hope than Neimod ever did.

Although I'm not bashing his skill at all, it's nice that he's found a way into the 3DS hardware, I just think keeping the bits that are beneficial to ones self is a bit hypocritical. But that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn...