Any word on a brand new GBA ONLY flash card?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Remy, Oct 9, 2006.

Oct 9, 2006
  1. Remy
    OP

Member Remy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, I know it sounds weird asking this question, but it'll make sense.
    Since there are slot 1 cards coming out that feature DS only support, will there be a slot 2 card that has PERFECT (yes, perfect, absolutely flawless) GBA functionality? Infact, since there are going to be so many slot 1 cards that has perfect DS ONLY features, why not have a DS Lite sized cart that ONLY has perfect GBA support?

It'd make sense, after all, one card per slot to perform their tasks perfectly. It's been a long time since I've seen a flashcard that worked as well as the EZF-Advance. The client software that came with the card was beautiful.
    I still have the ol' thing, but it's just a little upsetting to have a GBA sized card in the sleek DS Lite.

And yes, I know there are going to be games that will have "rumble packs" but how many of those have we actually seen (for that matter, play)?

-edit-

Okay, time to clarify. I meant a GBA only flash card that was the size of the DS lite filler card.

2. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I use m3 minisd for GBA only, works fine.

3. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    either im not reading this right or your have missed the last few years of the scene...

GBA carts have been out for ages...thats only play GBA games [but can be tweaked to play DS] and have perfect support, just like EZF..hell the EZf fits your description.
    and as for a lite solution the EZ4liteD im sure has near perfect GBA support.
    TO me this thread seems to be going backwards, why wouldnt you want both devices to play both types of games..? Stupid and unreseach question if you ask me.

Solution.
    put an old GBA cart into the bottom of your DS...smile.

Solution for Lite
    put and EZ4LiteDeluxe into your DS and Some form of Slot 1 cart...smile, but be sad that you are now poor.

4. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    The GBA slot on the DSlite is smaller, maybe that´s what he´s talking about.

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Lol you guys are missing what he is saying. He wants a DS lite GBA sized cart for Slot 2. Yes, there are already ones out there, but they also play DS games. He wants one that is incapable of playing DS games in order for it to have perfect GBA compatability, so the cost will be cheaper. He only wants to play GBA games on it, he wants a Slot 1 flashcard for DS games. I thought what he was saying was pretty clear in his first post.

But to answer your question, I don't think that what you are describing would ever be made. Many companys (like Supercard) are giving up on GBA support, and it would be able to play DS games no matter what, because all GBA carts (to my knowledge) can be tweaked to play DS games.

If I were you (which I pretty much am, because I wish for the same product that you are describing), I would buy a G6 Lite, and a Slot 1 solution, thats what I'm doing. Just be sure to get one that also acts as a passme.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I guess you already answered this but GBA support is in fact the expense here for the GBA requires some nice fast memory to work and as you already mentioned GBA carts got DS support not DS support was already had and GBA a nice bonus (whatever the cart makers want to tell me), DS support is what sells cards these days too.

So I would say read the reviews of the "lite" carts and then pick your choice based on whichever one has the best GBA support and features (remember compression, save states and extensive cheating capabilities have all been done on GBA cart sized carts).

As for flawless GBA, there are still some sticking points for every cart namely the classic nes/famicom mini series, certain Dragon ball Z titles and a few other more minor releases (some snooker titles and a few of the European developers RPG/platform titles). OK you are not missing out on anything at all there.

Call me a luddite but I think GBA slot carts have a very good future and can completely see DS slot being the minor league option until the very end.

7. skywarp

Member skywarp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The GBA support is what makes cart expensive, due to the faster memory required. You are probably better off just getting a lite sized NDS cart with a small amount of memory, since you won't need that much just for GBA games, if you need to save money.