Hacking Any word from GBA staff on gateway demo?

samljer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know theres other threads on this but nothing quite related to this actual question though.
so here it is.

I read someplace that GBATEMP was offered a demo model of the flash card
to post for all to see (their take on it)

I think i read they had it already, not sure.
question is, if they did get one, hows that review coming along?

(i guess this is more for the staff, but if anyone else heard anything)

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
As to my knowledge, the forum doesn't have the review sample yet, and the cart was due to be shipped out by the end of this month. We have a week and a half.

Patience - it's coming soon!

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
As to my knowledge, the forum doesn't have the review sample yet, and the cart was due to be shipped out by the end of this month. We have a week and a half.

Patience - it's coming soon!
There is a high likelihood Gateway was blocked with the latest update.

This puts everything in doubt. Temper your optimistic expectations accordingly.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country

Jeez, a girl can't get excited? Nor have faith that they'll get through it, even if it ends up pushing things back a little bit? :( Not only that, but there's still hope for us that haven't updated.

Reactions: Yoshinecra

fidrocka

teen programer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jeez, a girl can't get excited? Nor have faith that they'll get through it, even if it ends up pushing things back a little bit? :( Not only that, but there's still hope for us that haven't updated.

i agree with snailface no one should get to hyped up. I know thats its the first cart but i bet most people are gonna use it for piracy. plus its only the first cart for the 3ds, it is going to take some time for a very good cart with a lot of features that is worth the hype. I am saving mine for when that day comes and i am prepared to wait as long as it takes as long as it is a really good cart

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The high likelihood requires evidence for its being high. If you're suggesting the latest Nintendo update patches out an exploit the card abuses, or specifically blocks the card, that would suggest that Nintendo has access to whatever information led up to the development of the Gateway card. Which, if Gateway is honest and has not created any mass production carts, the chance of this being likely is incredibly low, given the circumstances.

Why would Nintendo know ahead of time the exploits of the Gateway team? Unless you had different evidence for the likeliness.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
The high likelihood requires evidence for its being high. If you're suggesting the latest Nintendo update patches out an exploit the card abuses, or specifically blocks the card, that would suggest that Nintendo has access to whatever information led up to the development of the Gateway card. Which, if Gateway is honest and has not created any mass production carts, the chance of this being likely is incredibly low, given the circumstances.

Why would Nintendo know ahead of time the exploits of the Gateway team? Unless you had different evidence for the likeliness.

Backing Celice up on this. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I'm requesting evidence.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo doesn't need to know exactly what Gateway is/does in order to prevent it from working.
Really? I was unawares that Nintendo was omniscient about its own exploits. I guess Nintendo really is dying if it can create vulnerable hardware but choose not to protect it.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? I was unawares that Nintendo was omniscient about its own exploits. I guess Nintendo really is dying if it can create vulnerable hardware but choose not to protect it.
It's entirely possible for Nintendo to see all the flashcart buzz, do some digging, and find something in their hardware or software that allows for Gateway to do its thing.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's entirely possible for Nintendo to see all the flashcart buzz, do some digging, and find something in their hardware or software that allows for Gateway to do its thing.
But you just said Nintendo doesn't need to know about how Gateway exploits the 3DS in order to prevent the exploitation. Yet now you're saying all Nintendo needs to do is be aware of the exploit Gateway is taking advantage of, if there even is one on the 3DS-side of things.

For Nintendo to "find something in their hardware or software that allows for Gateway to do its thing" necessarily means finding that which "allows for Gateway to do its thing". If Nintendo is blindly trying to fix exploits it doesn't know of, it's an absurd method to prevent a single flashcart from booting its own ROM.

Snailface

Trophies
XP

They don't need to know how Gateway created a fake retail card, they simply give the card a fucktonn of tests to see if it behaves in a way a retail cart should. And they know how a 3ds cart should behave because they designed the fawking thing!

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They don't need to know how Gateway created a fake retail card, they simply give the card a fucktonn of tests to see if it behaves in a way a retail cart should. And they know how a 3ds cart should behave because they designed the fawking thing!
Give what card a fucktonn of tests? Again, if the most recent update has already blocked the Gateway card specifically, it would require Nintendo to know or be aware of the exploit Gateway is making use of, if it even is an exploit of Nintendo's hardware or software.

The update rolled out before anyone had public access to a Gateway cart, if Gateway is honest in their saying no cart has been mass produced, yet. What likeliness is it that Nintendo had snuck in and stolen the details of Gateway? Who would even believe in such absurdity?

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It would be most unlikely to have gba stuff in the gateway flashcard now since hacking/homebrew at the 3ds is very primitive and they already said the Gateway card does not even work with DS games, let alone GBA games.

Reactions: fidrocka

Snailface

Trophies
XP
Give what card a fucktonn of tests? Again, if the most recent update has already blocked the Gateway card specifically, it would require Nintendo to know or be aware of the exploit Gateway is making use of, if it even is an exploit of Nintendo's hardware or software.

The update rolled out before anyone had public access to a Gateway cart, if Gateway is honest in their saying no cart has been mass produced, yet. What likeliness is it that Nintendo had snuck in and stolen the details of Gateway? Who would even believe in such absurdity?
It doesn't matter what type card Nintendo is trying to authenticate. They have the specs on them all. And unless Gateway accounted for all possible checks Nintendo could throw at it, then the Gateway was likely blocked in version 6.

I'm tired of arguing in circles with you, just wait until they release the card so we can see who was right, ok?

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Nintendo engineers are pretty smart, they already blocked yellow/neimod hack even though it was never released to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did some spying in hacker's environments but maybe Nintendo staff, which knows the 3DS hardware way better than hackers at this point, just found the flaw that would make the gateway's hack possible and fixed it, and let's face it, it's not like the 3DS has a whole bunch of holes in its security.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what if it is blocked ,that should not give them reason to cancel the card, it should only give them more reason to rush it out sooner, sooner its out the more potential consoles it can be used on ,more sales for them if they get it out faster before more people update, better than no sales if they scrap the project
i dont care if it is perm blocked i would still buy it play all the games that require under latest fw and update or buy buy a new console for new games ,its still worth it, and you can always sell the card

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo engineers are pretty smart, they already blocked yellow/neimod hack even though it was never released to the public. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo did some spying in hacker's environments but maybe Nintendo staff, which knows the 3DS hardware way better than hackers at this point, just found the flaw that would make the gateway's hack possible and fixed it, and let's face it, it's not like the 3DS has a whole bunch of holes in its security.

well 3ds has been out for 2 years why would they wait till now to start doing new checks and trying to secure the console, that dont make much sense either, if they are so smart and they designed the thing and are all knowing then by that logic there should have been no exploitable holes left after 2 years of the console being out and the numerous other fw updates where they didnt have acess to the card ,if they are so smart you really think they are just sitting around with their thmbs up their ass waiting for a flashcard announcement to start securing the console?
for all we know gateway could be nintendo themselves
but hey ,just playing devils advocate

i just cant wait for the review,

Reactions: fidrocka

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum