apb407

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well i am Indian so i have a crap load of weird ones which do your families believe in?

For me some weird ones are

No sweeping at dark (washing away the wealth of the house)

No sneezing during a happy occasion ( a omen)

if the topic starts to get hotter ill post some more what are some of your superstitions?

Note i dont believe in superstitions but that doesnt mean my families dont have any!

Sendoh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm a Chinese, and just like any other culture, we have weird beliefs and practices.

- We have to eat our plates clean, since leaving behind any scraps of rice would make your future wife pimply.

- We can't stick chopsticks upright, or stick chopsticks into any kind of food, and just leave it there. This is because they look like the incense you use when praying for your ancestors.

- Some heavenly gate stuff opens up during the 7th month of the Lunar year (usually Aug-Sept). It's more of a cultural thing, you get a lot of shows and stuff around the streets to 'entertain' these ghosts before they go back, and you can't anger them, you have to prevent them from eating you, etc.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Gian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not really a superstition ..

But when you're eating/about to eat, and you drop one of your utensils, it means something.

A fork - A guy is about to come over.
A spoon - A girl is about to come over.
A knife - Your toe's about to bleed.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think this is a superstition exactly, but it's something that seems to happen in our family......

If an outside door that was securely latched shut is suddenly wide open (frequently with a bang, from what I understand), a family member has just died. I have personally witnessed this phenomenon twice now, but I only heard the bang once.

Truth.

Jerme

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im obsessed with my dandruff

Posts merged

Sendoh said:
I'm a Chinese, and just like any other culture, we have weird beliefs and practices.

- We have to eat our plates clean, since leaving behind any scraps of rice would make your future wife pimply.

- We can't stick chopsticks upright, or stick chopsticks into any kind of food, and just leave it there. This is because they look like the incense you use when praying for your ancestors.

- Some heavenly gate stuff opens up during the 7th month of the Lunar year (usually Aug-Sept). It's more of a cultural thing, you get a lot of shows and stuff around the streets to 'entertain' these ghosts before they go back, and you can't anger them, you have to prevent them from eating you, etc.

thats right KILL THEM ALL

Monster On Strin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sendoh said:

my family believes in the same things and more
can't think of anything else

CorruptJon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sendoh said:

Sorry if I'm being disrespectful, but I just downright LOL'd at this one.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
November 1st: Dia de Muertos

We leave food in the table for the souls of the dead members of the family to "eat".. I think November 1st is for the kids and Nov. 2nd for the adults, some people do that at the cemeteries.

Beat that world!

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I'm not making these up but the weirdest shit can be found in Filipino superstitions, for example;
  • If you have sex on Good Friday, you will never be able to pull your penis out, remaining joined until you die.
  • Blood from a girl's first menstruation cures pimples if rubbed on one's face.

greyhound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lagman said:
November 1st: Dia de Muertos

We leave food in the table for the souls of the dead members of the family to "eat".. I think November 1st is for the kids and Nov. 2nd for the adults, some people do that at the cemeteries.

Beat that world!

Eat that spirit world!

But seriously I have heard of the leaving food out for the dead.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Orc said:
I'm not making these up but the weirdest shit can be found in Filipino superstitions, for example;
  • If you have sex on Good Friday, you will never be able to pull your penis out, remaining joined until you die.

Do people actually do that? The second bullet, I mean.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
My mom always throws out "old eggs". (Eggs that were cooked yesterday)

CorruptJon said:
Sendoh said:

Sorry if I'm being disrespectful, but I just downright LOL'd at this one.
My Chinese mom (dad isn't) told me that one lol.

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Orc said:

I actually wouldn't mind the first one >_>

We don't really have any superstitions in my family :E

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
The world is weird. I have no superstitions, nor do my immediate family, but my extended family on my mother's side has a very weird form of protestant Christianity, and they believe that fantasy is wrong and evil, and speaking, reading, or talking about magic is bad. sort of a "hear no evil, speak no evil, do no evil" kind of thing. I cannot bring my video games to my grandmother's house, least of all play games like Zelda in front of her. My mom left at 18.

On another note, did you know that the definition for "superstition" is a "belief based on ignorance?" That means by responding to this topic, all of you have inadvertently admitted that your superstitious beliefs are not true! (no offence)

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have a tradition to have a moment of silence together in one room before leaving the house to go on a long trip.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My mother does (I have none).

- no opening an umbrella indoors
- no spilling salt (can be remedied by throwing the salt over the shoulder)

There are probably more, but I can't remember them.

There was one thing that once really freaked me out even though it's not technically a superstition. I had done a test and gotten a high grade one day. That night, I had a dream that my teacher confronted me and accused me of cheating (which I didn't). I woke and thought no more of it until I got to school that morning and was confronted by my teacher and accused of cheating.
wtf.gif

I was later cleared of the crime because my classmate at my table during the test vouched that I had not used a cheat sheet for the test. He was directly across me and could see what I was doing.

I was not as shocked that my teacher accused me of cheating (she hated me irrationally). But I was shocked that I had a premonition about it the day before. I'm not a hugely religious person or paranormal psycho, but that freaked me out!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [louder cricket sounds]