Hardware Any ways to do an original gba backlight mod without soldering skills?

NerdJeebus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive recently wanted to do a back light mod on my 40 pin GBA with a gba sp AGS-101 screen. The problem is i'm really bad at soldering as I always choke when I about to do anything. If not can someone tell me how to solder properly on it?

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It really isn't hard to solder on the board, the main thing is that the wire you have to solder isn't isolated. You can't let it touch any capacitors or contacts. If you want to practice your soldering skills, try to buy the cheapest ps controllers on ebay ( I bought them for €1 each) and try to make another controller from it. I build a few arcade style controllers out of them.
Even if you don't build any thing from them, it's still a great practice.
I've started with those because my soldering skills were terrible then I went on to do the famicom av mod, then switchless snes mod. If you can do the snes mod, a gba is really easy to do. Just one wire on a capacitor, but if you don't want full backlight (the second light option )
You don't even need to solder.

Last edited by koffieleut,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't solder mine. The screen has a white tabbed end and the motherboard of the gba is 40pin. In my opinion, not that you asked, it's a great level of brightness. I can see fine in the daylight and it's not too bright at night. Any brighter and I think it's burn my cornea.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

montiebro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should work fine without soldering, it will just be on the dim setting, but if it's a 101 model the dim setting is pretty bright on its own.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls