Any way to use Japanese passcodes on a US Pokemon OR/AS copy w/ US 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Tsunamical, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Tsunamical
    OP

Tsunamical Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    I'm very new here (as you can tell), so I first off apologize if this is in the wrong section, but it seemed like it fit in either this section or the ROM hacking section (assuming it is possible).

Is there any way to use a Japanese passcode for Pokemon on an American 3DS with an American copy of Pokemon OR/AS? I know the server rejects the American 3DS on the Japanese server because it isn't Japanese, but I was wondering if there was any way to spoof the 3DS to appear Japanese. Sorry for my silly question, I just don't have the money to fish out for a Japanese 3DS and really want to be able to get some of the events legally (to an extent).

2. Jwiz33

Jwiz33

Banned
    Jun 5, 2014
    United States
    in the illuminati headquar—I have said too much!
    I remember once running a US Pokemon ORAS demo through HANS with the region and language set to JP, and the demo had the Japanese features.
    So, you can try that I guess.

3. Tsunamical
    OP

Tsunamical Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a whirl. I'm on 10.3 on a new 3DS...what are my homebrew options? I saw the infographic at one point but I forgot to bookmark it. I'm watching the smealum video for HANS now. Sorry for the noob questions!

4. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 The Pokémon guy

Aug 26, 2009
    Lumiose City
    Yes, if you use HANS and set japanese region. However, HANS doesn't support game updates, so you won't be able to connect online.

The easier solution is just injecting the japanese Wonder Cards into the save data.

5. MegaHaxorus

MegaHaxorus Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2015
    United States
    If changing the region in hans doesn't work, I would be happy to redeem the code in my japanese copy and send you the event.

siapena likes this.
  6. Tsunamical
    OP

Tsunamical Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    So if I have an update, it won't let me connect to download it? In that case can I just delete update data? I don't want to delete any save data though.

The reason I'm asking is because I want to reset for IVs and nature ;w; I really appreciate the offer though. I may take you up on that in the end if there isn't a proper solution.

7. Tsunamical
    OP

Tsunamical Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Wait, don't you need the update to connect to download the Pokemon?

8. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 The Pokémon guy

Aug 26, 2009
    Lumiose City
    Yes you need to update the game, you can't use it with HANS even if you aready have the update in the SD.

9. Tsunamical
    OP

Tsunamical Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Damn, so that means you can't do this.

10. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
  11. ootnes2

ootnes2 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Double post

Last edited by ootnes2, Dec 29, 2015
  12. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
  13. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah you do.

Only way would be with CFW and NTR-CFW language emulation plugin, or someone figuring out how to make update data work with HANS.

14. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    yes. u can do that. merge the update into the romfs

Last edited by Ericjwg, Dec 29, 2015
  15. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I thought someone attempted that but it just wasn't really working?
    It was showing as v1.4 and all but it wasn't actually recognized as being the latest version when trying to use online stuff, or all the stuff from the updates weren't working.

16. Ericjwg

Ericjwg Good

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    Oh. then I bad. I never knew the merge doesn't work as expected

17. Tsunamical
    OP

Tsunamical Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Isn't cfw going to be workable with 10.3 in the near future though?

18. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Yeah, technically.
    You'll be able to gain ARM11 kernel access but you need ARM9 kernel to actually run unsigned installed .cias (and to run CFW at all.)
    But ARM11 kernel access allows you to uninstall titles and install legit .cias so it can be used to downgrade back to a firmware where you can get ARM9 kernel.

There is technically a way to get ARM9 kernel on higher firmwares without having to downgrade but it requires special hardware and I don't know if anyone will bother making when you can just downgrade and everything is already available.

19. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    You probably got a lot of responses saying HANs doesn't support updates, but in reality that isn't the problem.

I've combined my game and update file before, but it won't go online, simply because HANs doesn't spoof 3DS region.

I will advise you to use NTR cfw.

I'm using the .cia version of NTR with Gateway, and it works.

Specifically, NTR supports the use of language plugin, that you must choose and select and put into a folder on your SD CARD before booting the game.
    (Example, create a folder on SD root with the full game ID, the 00400blabla, then put the language plugin into the folder)

The language plugin also spoofs region, and it works for me!

Edit:

Or you can just send me the serial codes and I collect for you.

I collect wondercards for projectpokemon.org

Last edited by Queno138, Dec 30, 2015
  20. Tsunamical
    OP

Tsunamical Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Thank you for the response. It looks to be roughly the same price to buy a Gateway card as it is to buy a Japanese 3DS.