Any Way to Transfer PS1 saves to PC with Windows 10? Method that still works?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by RedRose30, Apr 19, 2019.

1. RedRose30
    OP

RedRose30 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2016
    United States
    Hello. Does anyone have a method that still works that enables ps1 save transfers to the pc? Esp with the newest version of windows 10? Thank you.

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The arduino-based reader, I guess (or a PS2 that can run homebrew + a flash drive)

RedRose30 likes this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    They still sell the DexDrive on Amazon for $25, which does work with Windows 10 so long as you have a Serial to USB adapter, and the Dexter software is still available at various sites.

If it doesn't work in Windows 10, you should be able to setup a small XP VM and then passthrough USB and connect it up that way, as well.

alexander1970 and RedRose30 like this.
  4. RedRose30
    OP

RedRose30 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2016
    United States
    I never thought the software would still work with windows 10. I will try this when I have the chance. Do you still use dexdrive?
    I will try this if the dexdrive doesn't work. I never heard of the arduino-based method before.

Thank you both :)

alexander1970 likes this.
  5. RedRose30
    OP

RedRose30 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2016
    United States
    Would a homebrew ps2 definitely allow me to transfer ps1 saves back and forth without any difficulty?

6. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Short answer? Yes. Detailed answer?

Effortlessly, provided you have a PS2 compatible USB storage device and can run something like wLaunchElf. It's as simple as copy/cut and paste, for PS1 saves, PS2 saves, Pocketstation apps, PS2 apps, and even PS2 network information. It's recommended to use the psuPaste option for backing up or restoring PS2 saves though (not executables like homebrew or the RGB/Progressive compatible DVD Player mod). Don't do that from memory card to memory card though, since psuPaste packs the entire save folder into a .psu file for easy backups.

I opened up my old FFVII save in Black Chocobo out of pure curiosity, as well as one I grabbed off a demo disc. Ah, the good old days when games' journalists could call a black Chocobo "Negro" on a save packed onto a demo disc without inviting the screech brigade.

Last edited by N7Kopper, May 28, 2019
    duwen, zfreeman and RedRose30 like this.
  7. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    to complement the previous answer.
    use ulaunchelf not superior to version 4.42d, they broke ps1 memcard compatibility after that version.

8. RedRose30
    OP

RedRose30 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2016
    United States
    Thank you for your answers. Is there a reliable thread on how to hack my ps2?

9. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Couldn't the PS3 memory card reader work? That's assuming windows 10 drivers have been written for it...

RedRose30 likes this.
  10. Ryccardo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    For PS1, yeah: https://github.com/ticky/ps3mca-ps1
    For PS2, you need to implement Mag1cgate authentication to even read/write regular unsigned saves, which $ony is quite strongly litigious against

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Well, which model (scph-*)?

RedRose30 likes this.
  11. RedRose30
    OP

RedRose30 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2016
    United States
    Could you explain how to use the drivers from the link you posted? I wouldn't know how to operate the ps3 memory card adapter with it. I'm most likely going to hack my ps2 though.

I have to ps2 slims. One has a broken disc drive but i’d rather use that for the hacking. Do you need to use any disc for hacking? If yes, I’ll tell you the model for my good one.

The model for my bad one is 70012

Last edited by RedRose30, Jun 7, 2019
  12. Ryccardo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It's (mostly) explained at the linked page, you'd need to compile the program yourself for your operating system first

If you want to install FMCB the traditional ways (with an exploitable game + a modified backup of it, or alternatively with a boot disc like the newest Swap Magic Coder or others) yes you'd need a working optical drive; of course you can also send your memory card to a volunteer to have it installed, or buy a preprogrammed card on ebay

13. RedRose30
    OP

RedRose30 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2016
    United States
    I’d rather use the memory card since that sounds easier. I wouldn’t mind sending my memory card to a volunteer, but it would probably be easier to buy it off ebay (since I don’t know anyone who would do that). Does the model of the ps2 matter if I’m only using a memory card?

14. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
    If your SCPH-90000 series console is a R-chassis model, it may not support FMCB/FHDB.

If the FMCB memory card has a single-system installation, it will likely not work on a specific model. The ones sold online are probably multi-system installations, which work on all compatible systems.

RedRose30 likes this.
  15. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Remember that FMCB doesn't actually "hack" your PS2 at all - aside from 1 KiB's worth of rewritable memory for the System Configuration and disc drive calibration, the PS2's ODSSYS (and everything else) are completely read-only. All it is is update data; unofficial update data, but still update data. No vulnerabilities are involved whatsoever (although you could call it a backdoor if you stretched it a little) and if you just reboot without the memory card plugged in, you're instantly back to vanilla.

In short, don't worry about breaking it like you would with an actual modchip.

RedRose30 likes this.
  16. RedRose30
    OP

RedRose30 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 14, 2016
    United States
    I was able to do it. I can now transfer saves back and forth! :D

Thanks for your help everyone! I really appreciate it ^_^

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted