Any way to spoof the GBA dongle feature?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Frezgle, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Frezgle
    OP

Frezgle Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    United States
    So, I've been playing Platinum, and I'm pretty sad that since I no longer have a DS with a GBA slot, I can't encounter certain special Pokemon that are obtainable when you have a GBA Pokemon game in the slot.
    What I'm wondering is, is there any utility out there that spoofs this feature? I know that DS mode is tough to work with, but I thought perhaps if stuff like Nitrohax is working, there might be a possibility of this as well. On that note, since I'm guessing that the feature just sets a flag in the game somewhere, would it be possible to just do this from Nitrohax itself with a code?

I know it's a lot to ask for such an old and seemingly useless thing... but those PokeRadar shinies are so tempting. :P

2. Queno138

Queno138 Ravens

Sep 18, 2010
    Senegal
    Luigi's Dark Mansion
    I remember that some emulators (I think Desmume) allows you to mount a second game (GBA game),
    to allow pal parking.

Mounting the second game also works as GBA dongle!

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    For most other games it would not even be a spoof as much as a small hack for the DS game. The pokemon stuff is harder in that it does some reasonable checks and pulls from the save file. Desmume is the better bet as you can do most things you want there with a minor play rather than needing it in there the whole time.

That said most when heading down this path do want pal park and the like so it could be possible to have the simple unlocks done on the DS ROM level but skip pulling from saves in any meaningful way.