Hacking Any way to run DSi Ware titles in rxTools emuNAND?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,406
  • Replies 13
D

Deleted User

OP
My sister purchased Plants vs. Zombies from the eShop, and every time she tries to run it, her 2DS gives her an error. (IIRC it says to hold down the power button to shut the system off and contact Nintendo.)
Is there any way we can get DSi Ware titles to run, or is that a no?

Not sure if this helps, but on emuNAND she's running RX-E 10.3, and her system firmware is 7.2.
i also feel like the answer will be no but it never hurts to ask anyways, amirite?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As far as I understand, to run DSiWare or GBA titles from emuNAND you have to have it installed on both sysNAND and emuNAND (assuming they're unlinked), or you'll get an error/crash. So you might have to find a CIA of Plants vs. Zombies and install that, or figure out how to use FunkyCIA and install the PvZ CIA you get from that to sysNAND.

D

Deleted User

OP
As far as I understand, to run DSiWare or GBA titles from emuNAND you have to have it installed on both sysNAND and emuNAND (assuming they're unlinked), or you'll get an error/crash. So you might have to find a CIA of Plants vs. Zombies and install that, or figure out how to use FunkyCIA and install the PvZ CIA you get from that to sysNAND.
Oh, okay! I'll try that! Thanks!

Chrestomanci

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
If I'm not mistaken, DSiWare games, unlike GBA titles, can only be run from sysnand. Also, they're installed to the nand, the system memory, and not the SD, which is why I never tried to install any because I'm afraid to mess with that.

Reactions: Deleted User

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DSiWare can be run from emuNAND as well, but like I said, it requires installation to both sysNAND and emuNAND if they're unlinked (on second thought, for DSiWare, it probably doesn't matter if they're unlinked or not, since they're installed to TWL_NAND, so it probably has to be installed to both regardless). I have three DSiWare titles I can run from my emuNAND whenever I want.

Last edited by daxtsu,

Chrestomanci

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
DSiWare can be run from emuNAND as well, but like I said, it requires installation to both sysNAND and emuNAND if they're unlinked. I have three DSiWare titles I can run from my emuNAND whenever I want.
Oh, I had read someone here say that it wasn't possible, but I am glad to hear that it is. Do they still have to be installed on the nand though?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh, I had read someone here say that it wasn't possible, but I am glad to hear that it is. Do they still have to be installed on the nand though?

Yes, because DSiWare stuff needs to be run from TWL_FIRM (i.e. backwards compatibility mode, and that only reads DSi software (that isn't a cartridge) from the TWL_NAND, meaning the small DSi NAND partition). I'm pretty sure there's no real risk with DSiWare CIAs, but if you just stick to the official dumps that are out there, you should be fine.

Reactions: Chrestomanci

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes install the cia to sysnand destination nand to play them from sysnand
or
install the .cia to sysnand and emunand destination nand if you want to play from emunand

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Ugh... This question again. Dude, you're like the 15th person to ask that since I joined here.

Ok, I'm gonna drop some knowledge on you, son. :)

The 3DS reboots each time when booting DSi or GBA titles. It reboots into a different OS that's used by the on-board hardware (dedicated CPUs) for backwards compatibility, OS'es that are completely sandboxed from one another, so that a potential DS or GBA exploit doesn't bring down the device's "main OS" and compromise the entire system. Nintendo specifically designed it that way. That's why as long as the bootloader isn't cracked (it remains READ-ONLY), we'll never run DS/GBA games from emuNAND, and no "real CFW" or "permanent" CFW till then either. You're only starting the game on emuNAND, but you're not running it from there. You're still running it from sysNAND. That's why they need to be installed in both places, so that the "DS" OS knows where to find the game files after the reboot and actually run them.

Last edited by DSpider,
Reactions: Ev1l0rd
D

Deleted User

OP
Ugh... This question again. Dude, you're like the 15th person to ask that since I joined here.

Ok, I'm gonna drop some knowledge on you, son. :)

-wow nice text wall of china-
I already know how it works, I was just asking if there was a way to run games on emuNAND. The only thing I didn't know about was that I had to install the DSi Ware titles on both NANDs.

EmulatorLover

3ds master race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for bumping but I really need help I cant get this to work I still get error has occured I installed to both nands my games our originally legit help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s