Any way to "restore" the installed titles from a damaged 3ds's emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by LoganK93, Jan 6, 2017.

1. LoganK93
    OP

LoganK93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    So a while back my hacked 3DS was water damaged and not salvageable. I have since purchased a new 3ds (thanks @munchy_cool) and was hoping there was a way I could "restore" the emunand or at least get to the saves as I had a lot of Pokemon/Hyrule Warriors/Dragon Quest saves and games I'd like to not lose. I'm sure it's not possible due to console locking but it's been a long time since I've really been into the "scene".

2. LoganK93
    OP

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Ok so now I am trying to follow 3ds.guide but it says I need a cartridge for safehax? But I didn't need one in the past and I have none because all of my old 3DS games were downloads...

3. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    Do you have a nds game? You just need any cartridge in because of permissions while booting Decrpyt9. if not, just pick up a cheapo NDS or 3DS game from a local Gamestop.

4. LoganK93
    OP

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    I don't... I had a 3ds that I did cfw on without a cartridge before. It was just a matter of running decrypt 9 and having all the files in the right place so I'm not sure what changed...

Though that was long enough ago that my SD card is still labeled as GATEWAY emunand (though I never had or used gateway either...)

Last edited by LoganK93, Jan 6, 2017
  5. Roomsaver

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    This new exploit has flags/permissions set that says it can only boot if a cart is present, just buy a cheapo 3DS/NDS game from the local Gamestop and you'll be fine.

6. LoganK93
    OP

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    LOL so basically it's a safety feature? Jesus. I can't really get there until next week and was kind of setting this up like... now. It would be nice if I didn't have to buy a game I don't need...

Edit: And no I'm not whining about price I just literally can't do that for a while and just want to get my shit up and running again.

Edit again: Christ I'm a wreck. Found an old ds cart. Still wish I didn't have to lose all my stuff though...

Last edited by LoganK93, Jan 6, 2017
  7. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    do you have xorpads from the og console?
    Or a decrypted nand dump?

8. munchy_cool

munchy_cool GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    You may or may not need a cart, some peeps need one and some dont ..its just random from what i have read ..

9. LoganK93
    OP

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Well I just started from scratch but im at a standstill because the SafeA9LHinstaller freezes when I go to the github on the 3DS. Bottom screen glitches, top screen freezes. Pressed select and waited and nothing...

10. Roomsaver

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    You're on 2.1, right? It takes a few tries.

11. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    did you delete all 0000008f folders, there can be multiple of those..

also, make sure you do not close the lid while on 2.1 ...

only power off using the power button, do not update from 2.1 using system settings as well.

12. LoganK93
    OP

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Is it safe to go into sys settings on a N3DS thats downgraded? I was afraid to brick... I havent done anything since menuhax was new lol

13. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    yes, you can do that ..just make sure you do not put it in sleep or update from system settings..

14. LoganK93
    OP

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Well I guess I don't really need to check. I can tell its been downgraded just from the home menu. So do I just keep trying until the browser doesn't freeze?

15. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    yes ..you can try multiple times ...i just did a n3ds xl for a friend yesterday ..had same glitched screen , waited for 1 minute ..powered off, and boom a9lh was installed..never saw the full install option .just pressed select when it glitched ..

16. LoganK93
    OP

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Did your top screen freeze too? Because even the clock and battery indicator freeze on the top screen.

17. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    didnt pay attention to that ....bottom screen was glitched and top was visible (not sure if it was frozen)..

18. Roomsaver

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    The website is kind of unstable. Just keep trying. I've had the bottom screen glitch and the top screen freeze, I just waited about 10 seconds to see if it'd respond and I powered off and tried again.

19. LoganK93
    OP

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Haha alright. I'm on like my tenth try. I honestly did better with the more manual stuff before...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I don't get it. I'm definitely on 2.1, but that fucking page just freezes once the app is loaded. I never end up with otp.bin so its obviously not doing anything...

20. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States