Any way to Repair Solder Pads?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by comapro, Mar 31, 2007.

Mar 31, 2007
  1. comapro
    OP

Newcomer comapro Advanced Member

United States
    My friend attempted a WiiKey install for me last night. Unfortunately, one of the solder pads came off. Is there any way to repair it somehow? I also got the diagram that shows where I could solder the wire to the leg on the chip, but that seems too hard (it's sooo small).

Also anyone have a link to a very very fine tip soldering iron?

2. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    I don't think you can repair a solder pad. You'd have to solder directly to the chip's leg, which is fairly hard to do without creating a short.

3. rds_works

Newcomer rds_works Newbie

Canada
    best advice for when you are soldiering directly to a chip leg is to apply HOT GLUE around the legs
    | chip |
    |__________________________|
    | | | | | |
    ^

if the leg with the carrot is the one you wish to soldier to, crimp about 1/2 inch of wire, apply a SMALL amount to soldier to it, and then apply hot glue to the left and right. Good idea to put some eletrical tape on the motherboard as well just incase you are sloppy

hope this works or helps

4. comapro
    OP

Newcomer comapro Advanced Member

United States
    hey rds_works thanks for the idea. so you're saying to put hot glue on the legs beside the one i want to solder to?