Any Way To Power Down Frozen System Without Unplugging?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by 10_0ARMY, Dec 11, 2012.

1. 10_0ARMY
    OP

Member 10_0ARMY THE *Original* 1 Man Army

United States
    I bet I'm not the only one with this question. I loved being able to hold the power button on Wii and PS3 to shut it off when it crashed, but the Wii U seems to lack this functionality. Is there a way to shut down the console without unplugging it from the outlet? And if not, could Nintendo release an update that adds this functionality?

2. julialy

Member julialy Homebrewer

United States
    No.

The power button is broken, you need to pull the cable.

3. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    Why is it such a loss? I pull the cable from my consoles (I don't own a WiiU) anyway, I can't stand waiting 20 seconds for the damn thing to turn off.

Seriously, I got my old PS1 out the other day and the first thing I noticed was how quickly it boots up and turns off. You push the ON/OFF button and it turns off - god knows what 'modern' consoles do in the 20+ seconds they take to turn off.

4. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Probably writing things to the internal storage. Do you pull the plug from the back of your PC without shutting it down first? Or take the battery out of your phone while it's switched on?

5. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    When it freezes up, yes I do.

6. Kikirini

Member Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

United States
    I hope they release an update so that holding down the power button works. I worry about having to unplug it. >.>

7. driverdis

Member driverdis I am Justice

United States
    they may not b
    Nintendo may not be able to if they made the button 100% software controlled as if the software locks up, it has no clue the power button was ever pressed. just like how touch buttons on samsung's android phones do nothing when the phone locks up as even tho there is a actual touch button located there, its 100% software controlled. requiring a battery pull or 3 button method using the actual side buttons to restart it.

8. Deltaechoe

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    Unfortunately it seems as though powering off is controlled by the OS on the system (and if this assertion is correct, then Nintendo did something really annoyingly dumb). However, seeing as the power button works on a cold restart (unplugged then plugged back in) then it seems probable that the firmware could be updated to include a hard power down.