Any way to play Codename Steam in English on Japanese console?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by vwf, Jun 20, 2015.

1. vwf
    OP

vwf Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2015
    Mauritania
    I have jpn n3ds with gateway. The problem is that game starts in japanese with us and eu region roms. Is there any workaround to start game in english?

2. vwf
    OP

vwf Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2015
    Mauritania
    Anyone?

3. happydance

happydance GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    region changed emunand, but don't know if that works on gateway since I don't own one... better wait for someone who actually done it...

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    i remember seeing some mention of a trick involving selecting a game from the gateway menu (but not starting it just so it shows in the card slot on the homescreen) that defaults to the desired language, then using a cia version of the game you want to be in that language (or something along those lines), never tried this method though so im not 100% on the details

if you have cubic ninja you can use pasta CFW install it as cia, then use NTR CFW with the language plugin to use English

Zidapi likes this.
  5. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
  6. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    You can always grab a cia version and install it on pasta. Then boot ntr with the language plug in and you can use English or whatever languages are bundled wih the game

cearp likes this.
  7. zdgr4ye5

zdgr4ye5 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2014
    United States
    use - "NTR language plugin"

8. vwf
    OP

vwf Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2015
    Mauritania
    The problem is the game is not compatible with language plugin, its stuck on "Nintendo 3DS" booting screen. Well then, i guess changing emunand region is the only solution.

BTW, i found japanese version is pretty playable, thanks to english voices.

9. Heero808

Heero808 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 20, 2007
    United States
    Do the rom selector trick, I have done it since switching to a JPN N3DSLL

1. Make sure the game you want to play is installed as a CIA
    2. In Emunand mode, have the cursor on the cia you want to play in english
    3. Open the rom selector and choose a US/EUR game, (I like to use EUR smash since that's always in my gateway SD card)
    4. BEFORE THE CURSOR AUTO-MOVES TO THE 3DS CARD ICON, press A quick enough so it launches the cia your cursor is on that you want in english.
    4a.(So I select Smash in the rom slector and continue pressing A so it immediately launches STEAM).

Tested personally with a Codename STEAM cia, EUR Smash Rom, on a JPN N3DSLL Emunand on Gateway

dustmite and vwf like this.