Homebrew Any way to Inject Gameboy and Gameboy Color for the Wii U VC?

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to Inject Gameboy and Gameboy Color for the Wii U VC? I really want to be able to do this without Retroarch and without vWii.

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any way to Inject Gameboy and Gameboy Color for the Wii U VC? I really want to be able to do this without Retroarch and without vWii.

I personally like using a program called Goomba Color , which allows you convert GB or GBC roms into GBA roms. It also has an awesome feature that allows you to create a single multi-rom.. Say for example you have 30 of your favorite GB roms, you can create 1 master GBA single rom. Once the rom is in GBA format, then it's easy to use something like PhacoxsInjector (my fav) or UWUVCI to create a GBA Wiiu VC.
On the WiiU side, the rom will only take up 1 title ID and upon launch it will give you a listing of the 30+ roms to select from..
WiiU VC Menu would look something like this

Last edited by AQS,
Reactions: trogdon

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like using a program called Goomba Color (just google is), which allows you convert GB or GBC roms into GBA roms. It also has an awesome feature that allows you to create a single multi-rom.. Say for example you have 30 of your favorite GB roms, you can create 1 master GBA single rom. Once the rom is in GBA format, then it's easy to use something like PhacoxsInjector (my fav) or UWUVCI to create a GBA Wiiu VC.
On the WiiU side, the rom will only take up 1 title ID and upon launch it will give you a listing of the 30+ roms to select from..
WiiU VC Menu would look something like this

How do save states work with this method?

Reactions: SaulFabre

AQS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do save states work with this method?

For a single rom GBA, save state would work normal
For multi-rom GBA, save state still works but only for the game for which you created the save state for .. ie, you cant have multiple save states for other games within the same rom.

Slightly off topic from GB roms, you may also be interested in a program called PocketNES .. With this you can convert NES Games into GBA games and has the same type of multi-rom feature.. Basically same concept as Goomba Color , but for NES games. For me, I found that there were some rare NES titles that I could not inject into the regular NES Wiiu VC , but converting the NES game to a GBA game and then creating a GBA Wiiu VC worked.

... hope some of this helps

Last edited by AQS,

trogdon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Today I tried the method outlined by AQS and it works really well. It’s a little odd double emulating (since converting GBC to GBA is just wrapping it in an emulator), but it doesn’t seem to affect performance much at all. The GBA emulation being already excellent certainly helps. Donkey Kong ‘94 even launched with super gameboy borders somehow!

Overall it’s a really neat method and worth pursuing if you want to have GB/GBC games on your home screen

Reactions: SaulFabre and AQS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.