Any way to hook up a Wii to a laptop?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Zaraf, Jul 5, 2007.

Jul 5, 2007
  1. Zaraf
    OP

Member Zaraf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I was wondering if it is possible to hook up a Wii, or Gamecaube, PS2, etc to a laptop. I'm pretty sure you can do it for a computer monitor, but not sure about laptop. And if so, is there extra hardware/software you need to do it?

2. HipN

Member HipN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    To a laptop? There is one way, and its the XMB converter or something like that for the Wii, but from what I have read, the performance is shit, and the quality is just not acceptable.

If you are looking for something close to that, there is always a VGA converter with component cables. Might not look as good as it would on TV, but it would probably look much better than it would with the XMB thing.

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  4. Zaraf
    OP

Member Zaraf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada

So that's a device that connects to a USB, and has those yellow and red plugs to connect to your console? Pretty cool. But when you say the quality is ok, is it due to resolution? Or is it just that it doesn't look as good as on a TV?

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    TVs are lower res sure but some of the conversion (which tends to be done onboard) is on the cheap and nasty side of things.

Bear in mind there are PCMCIA and firewire/1394 versions of those sorts of cards as well (USB ports are a resource in high demand on laptops I have seen).