Homebrew Any way to get saves from Project64 (PC) and use them on Wii U N64 VC?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Glad to know you got MM to work. Did you do anything else besides using sbn64? I'd like to update the GitHub repository, but first I want to make sure the changes work.

The problem with DK64 is probably related to the huge difference in EEPROM save file sizes. You can cut the converted PJ64 save file down to 0x700 (1792) bytes using a hex editor and test it.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used your program then renamed both the .rs (restore point) and .sav to it, and copied over them in WiiU/backups then restore via savemii. Akatoosh had it right when he posted what he did in another thread.

DK 64 technically worked because when I load the save in game it only says 1 minute on Project 64 too but I have a save state that's further but when I try to save in game after using save state it still only ends up being 1 minute I believe it's due to the mempak cause I've had issues with the mempak on my Project64.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: DarkMatterCore

32_Degriis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DarkMatterCore I seem to be having trouble using your program. I don't understand how to use it. I tried clicking it and tried opening my .eep with the program but I can't get it to work. I was hoping you could explain how to use it.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
@DarkMatterCore I seem to be having trouble using your program. I don't understand how to use it. I tried clicking it and tried opening my .eep with the program but I can't get it to work. I was hoping you could explain how to use it.

You're supposed to use it with a command prompt window. The program doesn't have a GUI.

Reactions: 32_Degriis

32_Degriis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to successfully run the program and I got the message
"Detected save type: EEPROM (4 Kbits).
Conversion process successfully completed!"
But I can't seem to find the output file.
One thing I should note is that for the input I typed -i C:\Users\32_Degriis\Documents\sbn64-master\sbn64-master\Banjo-Kazooie.eep instead of simply -i Banjo-Kazooie.eep because it was having trouble reading the file.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
I was able to successfully run the program and I got the message
"Detected save type: EEPROM (4 Kbits).
Conversion process successfully completed!"
But I can't seem to find the output file.
One thing I should note is that for the input I typed -i C:\Users\32_Degriis\Documents\sbn64-master\sbn64-master\Banjo-Kazooie.eep instead of simply -i Banjo-Kazooie.eep because it was having trouble reading the file.

You should use the "cd" command to change your current working directory to "C:\Users\32_Degriis\Documents\sbn64-master\sbn64-master", and then run sbn64. Only then, you'll be able to just use filenames as the input and output arguments.

EmulateLife

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so now I'm trying to convert saves from Wii U VC to Mupen64plus-next on Switch so I can play them on the go. I can't figure out how to pad the save it always comes out 128 kb and doesn't work. I tried sbn64.exe -i "Unkte0.024.sav" -o "Banjo Kazooie.srm" -s wiivc -d pj64 but makes 128. How do I make it 290 as that's what Switch saves (using retroarch) are. I know it's possible because I did it in January but now can't remember.

yaketyJack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I was trying to transfer my Mario Kart 64 virtual console save from the Wii to WiiU. This program worked! I am so happy that I did not lose progress and can play with the WiiU features. Here are the steps I did:

**Wii VC to WiiU VC Conversion:**
*make sure you run the WiiVC and WiiU games and then turn the power off while running the game. This avoids creating a savestate, which will overwrite normal saves upon loading. Download SBN64 latest here: https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/sbn64

1. On WiiU, use "SaveMii Mod" ](https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-savemii-wii-u-vwii-savefile-manager.466644/) to extract both Wii and WiiU saves (this creates the correct filenames and paths on SD card)

2. Put the Wii save and sbn64.exe in the same folder.
*Below is an example of Mario Kart 64 (Savemii named the Wii save "EEP_NKTE" and the WiiU save "Unkte0.024.sav")

3. In Windows' CMD prompt, go to the correct directory and run this:
**sbn64 -i "EEP_NKTE" -o "Unkte0.024.sav" -s wiivc -d wii64**

It will say:
Simple Byteswapper for N64 Saves v1.73 - By DarkMatterCore
Detected save type: EEPROM (128 Kbits).
Conversion process successfully completed!

4. Copy "Unkte0.024.sav" back to WiiU Mario Kart 64 path on the SD card and use SaveMii to import back to Wii U.

Last edited by yaketyJack,
Reactions: DarkMatterCore

protivakid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to give a big thanks. Using the tips from this post as well as this one and a Sanni Cart Reader I was able to get my childhood saves from my physical N64 carts to Project64 then to my WiiU virtual console.

Below is the commands I ran to convert which worked:
Code:
MarioTennis US
sbn64 -i "MarioTennis.eep" -o "Unm8e0.715.sav" -s wiivc -d wii64

NTSC-U Majora's Mask
sbn64 -i "ZELDAMAJORASMASK.fla" -o "Unzse0.727.sav" -s pj64 -d wiivc

DonkeyKong E
sbn64 -i "DONKEYKONG64.eep" -o "Undoe0.556.sav" -s pj64 -d wiivc

Reactions: SaulFabre

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk