Gaming Any way to get real analog control for PSX games?

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The control scheme #4 only gives the psp stick control over the 8 way digital direction control.

Most of the later generation psx games relied heavily on analog control, and the psp hardware clearly capable of producing it (really, one stick is all that's needed in almost every case). why is the option not available??

Is there any way (hack/homebrew app) to get around this? the hardware is there, so it would only need software to make it work.

Been looking forward to playing Chrono Cross on my psp and 1 hour in I think I'm gonna stop. Digital pad control just doesn't cut it for this, (or most of the psxs best games).

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I don't really understand what you want. As you yourself have said, control scheme 4 uses the analog for movement. So... you can move with the analog or with the d-pad, what more do you want? AFAIK, you can also make your own custom control scheme in later firmware versions.

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry. I thought I made it clear. The digital pad lets you move in 8 directions. Real anolog control gives you 360 degrees of movement. the full circle. (proboble something less, but well more than 8)

When you use the stick on psx games on the psp your just getting 8 directions. its just shifting control of the D-pad to the anolog stick instead of giving you real anolog control. The stick itself is capaple full analog control for psp games, the way it is on consoles.

I hope that's clearer.

f00had

Trophies
XP
Country
He's saying that the analog stick on the PSP, when used to play PS1 games, doesn't actually detect how far you're pushing it, so its just like the D-Pad.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to have true analog until Sony updates the PS1 emu.

luisrodl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The same thing happened to me two days ago that I started a new game on Chrono Cross after finishing Chrono Trigger on the DS. Althought is a little dissapointing not to have full analog control, is not that bad. For an RPG analog control for me is not that important, I have been playing CC for 2 hours now and all is fine and dandy. Now for games lime Metal Gear Solid and the like it is really a bummer that we don't have analog control for PS1 games on the PSP.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States

ali_ihsan21

Trophies
XP
Country
its almost too bad it only works on the psp that has the least accessible analog stick to date..
Its possible to connect ds3 to PSP go but most of the time I prefer to play without dualshock3. I find PSP go very ergonomic and I'm a more than average size guy and age 36.

I never understand people who complain about PSP go's ergonomy

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Its possible to connect ds3 to PSP go but most of the time I prefer to play without dualshock3. I find PSP go very ergonomic and I'm a more than average size guy and age 36.

I never understand people who complain about PSP go's ergonomy

compared to the other psp models, the gos stick is the least accessible. thats just how it is. it also has stronger resistance than the other model ones, making it less easy to use. everything else about the go is great in my opinion. just the stick isn't

Jayplay17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know this is an old thread, is there a way we can set up a bounty to make this happen for Non-Go PSP Models?
Analog mode for PSX games on the PSP would be so good.

Nix_Lon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I know this is an old thread, is there a way we can set up a bounty to make this happen for Non-Go PSP Models?
Analog mode for PSX games on the PSP would be so good.
Someone is working on it by running the PSP Go version of POPS in non-GO models.
With this setup, the POPSAnalog plugin works on non-GO models.
According to them, the PSP 1k and Street models work properly but there were oddities and issues in the PSP 2k/3k models.

Nagarjuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone is working on it by running the PSP Go version of POPS in non-GO models.
According to them, the PSP 1k and Street models work properly but there were oddities and issues in the PSP 2k/3k models.
I'll test it out on a 3000 with FF7 soon and see what the exact issues are. I think I found the GitHub for POPSAnalog, and am having a hard time figuring out if I need a Dualshock 3 for it. The OG thread on wololo says you do, and the GitHub's readme mentions it, but also says "With the version 0.2, i decided to use the built-in remapping feature of PSP, so the plugin will just pass the analog stick info. The rest will be done by Assign Buttons - Custom section." which implies it just maps the button itself?? No idea, I don't have a Dualshock 3 so I guess I'll see.

rariteh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is this version of the plugin publicly available?

Jayplay17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep that's me. I'm happy to report that I've gotten it to work on non-GO models. However, my setup (currently) only works if you can obtain a PSX savefile made from a PSPgo paired with a DS3. (I have a PSPgo + DS3 and can provide some savedata for your testing/playing pleasure)

and currently some lag is still present on 2k and 3k PSP models. Presumably to do with some POPS prx conflicts.
And the lag on 2k/3k is only really noticeable in open world games like Spyro, it seems to play well on less graphical intense games.

I'll test it out on a 3000 with FF7 soon and see what the exact issues are. I think I found the GitHub for POPSAnalog, and am having a hard time figuring out if I need a Dualshock 3 for it. The OG thread on wololo says you do, and the GitHub's readme mentions it, but also says "With the version 0.2, i decided to use the built-in remapping feature of PSP, so the plugin will just pass the analog stick info. The rest will be done by Assign Buttons - Custom section." which implies it just maps the button itself?? No idea, I don't have a Dualshock 3 so I guess I'll see.
I've experimented with the plugin for quite a bit and here are my findings:
- To get it to work, you must use PSPgo POPS as you can only have analog mode for PSX games on PSPgo. So a bypass is using POPSloader plugin to load PSPgo POPS rather than the normal PSP POPS. (Replacing the other model prx files with 05g files in the modules folder) 6.60 PSPgo POPS work best at the moment.

1635911341674.png

(Pictured above: 6.60 PSPgo POPS running on PSP slim using POPSloader plugin)

- You also need the exact game savefile from the PSPgo with the Analog mode setting changed to Digital (this is because Sony messed it up backwards, [Digital mode] is the real analog mode, and the [analog mode] is actually digital mode. Yep that's whack I know) and you can only change the analog mode to digital mode when a DS3 is paired, maybe hacking/save file editing can solve this somehow. As the POPS settings preferences are saved in a settings file in the savedata, I couldn't manage to transfer the setting files to other games, it'll just make the game not boot up.

Is this version of the plugin publicly available?
There's no modification to the plugin, but my method is making the other PSP models run the PSPgo POPS, thereby allowing the plugin to work correctly. I'll do a detailed write up guide on here soon. But you can see my reply above on how I did it. Feel free to ask any questions.

Here is a short demo of Crash Bandicoot PSX game using analog mode on the PSP slim.

rariteh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There's no modification to the plugin, but my method is making the other PSP models run the PSPgo POPS, thereby allowing the plugin to work correctly. I'll do a detailed write up guide on here soon. But you can see my reply above on how I did it. Feel free to ask any questions.
Thank you! I substituted the other pops_xxg.prx files with copies of the 05g one but I ended up just getting a black screen, but don’t worry, I’ll wait for the detailed writeup you’re planning to do

If it’s not too much trouble, could you (or someone else) provide two PSPgo saves of the same game, one with analog enabled and the other without? I want to try to write a tool to convert saves, but I don’t have a PSPgo nor a PS3 controller to generate a “good” save I can analyze

Jayplay17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you! I substituted the other pops_xxg.prx files with copies of the 05g one but I ended up just getting a black screen, but don’t worry, I’ll wait for the detailed writeup you’re planning to do

If it’s not too much trouble, could you (or someone else) provide two PSPgo saves of the same game, one with analog enabled and the other without? I want to try to write a tool to convert saves, but I don’t have a PSPgo nor a PS3 controller to generate a “good” save I can analyze
Sure thing, give me about a day I'll create some savefiles for you.

Reactions: rariteh

Jayplay17

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Here you go, some savefiles I created from the PSPgo are attached. (Analog mode and digital modes included)
The games are:
1. Resident Evil 2
2. Legacy of Kain
3. Metal Gear Solid
4. Dino Crisis 2
5. Crash Bandicoot 3
6. Crash Bandicoot 2
7. Spyro 2

If you have having trouble getting PSPgo POPS to run your PSP model (1k,2k,3k,street), try using the latest version of POPSloader v4i, and use only 6.60 PSPgo POPS. (Hold R when booting the game to select the POPS version)

To install 6.60 PSPgo POPS:
in the PSP:/seplugins/popsloader/modules/660 folder, delete the other non-GO pops modules files (01,02,03,04,07,09,11) and use the pops_05g.prx, duplicate it and rename them back to the other models names. Until your files look like below screenshot. (the other pops file size will be the same as the 05g.prx)
1636165085760.png

After that, install the POPSanalog plugin (attached).

When you run the game, press [HOME] and if you see (Pause Game/Quit Game) at the top, that means you've successfully run PSPgo POPS on your non-GO PSP model !

Next, change the Control type to Custom, and leave the analog stick mappings blank! As the plugin will force your PSP analog stick to have analog control mode.

Further details and guide on the plugin release page: https://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42165

Additional Info / Testing support required:
If you play Spyro 2 (using PSPgo POPS) on a PSP1k / Street, it will be silky smooth (especially on the first level)
If you use PSP2k, 3k, there will be some lag and sound cracking (in the first level, especially when you're facing a big area with lots of activity and items)
I'm still trying to figure out why and how to resolve this, currently my next goal is to get different versions of PSPgo POPS to run on the other models (6.20 , 6.35, 6.39).

If you want to chat, feel free to reach me on the PSP Homebrew Community Discord, my username: Grillade

@SIX10 @Nix_Lon

Attachments

• Save Data from PSPgo.zip
    211.4 KB · Views: 124
  • POPSAnalog.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 1636165245224.png
    1636165245224.png
    756.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited by Jayplay17,

rariteh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you so much for the extensive instructions! I was quite baffled because I did it exactly as you described and still got a black screen, but after some head-bonking trial-and-error I found out that the PSPgo POPS was not liking the PSX2PSP EBOOTs I had compiled – I’d guess it probably has to do with not adding any of the “optionals” (background image, information image etc). Testing with a PSN copy of Spyro 2, it works just fine.

Also, thank you for the saves! I’ll give them a poke and see if I can code something useful for a change :)

Reactions: Jayplay17

SabrePSi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is great @Jayplay17 . I'd like to try this on my 2000. I like my racing games. Could you post an analog enabled save for the following (US version) racing games? Thanks very much:

Need for Speed: High Stakes
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
Motorhead

Reactions: flamming_python

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    +1
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    Thank you
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I'm back. Just really tired.
    Hey. I'm really tired too. Going to eat my ham, green beans, and stuffing then take a nap. lol
    +1
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Hey. I'm really tired too. Going to eat my ham, green beans, and stuffing then take a nap. lol +1