Any way to get real analog control for PSX games?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by j0nnywolf, Jan 7, 2009.

1. j0nnywolf
    OP

Newcomer j0nnywolf Member

United States
    The control scheme #4 only gives the psp stick control over the 8 way digital direction control.

Most of the later generation psx games relied heavily on analog control, and the psp hardware clearly capable of producing it (really, one stick is all that's needed in almost every case). why is the option not available??

Is there any way (hack/homebrew app) to get around this? the hardware is there, so it would only need software to make it work.

Been looking forward to playing Chrono Cross on my psp and 1 hour in I think I'm gonna stop. Digital pad control just doesn't cut it for this, (or most of the psxs best games).

2. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I don't really understand what you want. As you yourself have said, control scheme 4 uses the analog for movement. So... you can move with the analog or with the d-pad, what more do you want? AFAIK, you can also make your own custom control scheme in later firmware versions.

3. j0nnywolf
    OP

Newcomer j0nnywolf Member

United States
    Sorry. I thought I made it clear. The digital pad lets you move in 8 directions. Real anolog control gives you 360 degrees of movement. the full circle. (proboble something less, but well more than 8)

When you use the stick on psx games on the psp your just getting 8 directions. its just shifting control of the D-pad to the anolog stick instead of giving you real anolog control. The stick itself is capaple full analog control for psp games, the way it is on consoles.

I hope that's clearer.

4. f00had

Member f00had GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    He's saying that the analog stick on the PSP, when used to play PS1 games, doesn't actually detect how far you're pushing it, so its just like the D-Pad.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to have true analog until Sony updates the PS1 emu.

5. luisrodl

Newcomer luisrodl Advanced Member

Puerto Rico
    The same thing happened to me two days ago that I started a new game on Chrono Cross after finishing Chrono Trigger on the DS. Althought is a little dissapointing not to have full analog control, is not that bad. For an RPG analog control for me is not that important, I have been playing CC for 2 hours now and all is fine and dandy. Now for games lime Metal Gear Solid and the like it is really a bummer that we don't have analog control for PS1 games on the PSP.

6. reprep

Member reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Turkey
    Heran Bago likes this.
  7. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    That's a really cool thing! Cool to see that scene is still making stuff too. Just awesome.

8. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    its almost too bad it only works on the psp that has the least accessible analog stick to date..

9. ali_ihsan21

Newcomer ali_ihsan21 Advanced Member

Turkey
    Its possible to connect ds3 to PSP go but most of the time I prefer to play without dualshock3. I find PSP go very ergonomic and I'm a more than average size guy and age 36.

I never understand people who complain about PSP go's ergonomy

10. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    compared to the other psp models, the gos stick is the least accessible. thats just how it is. it also has stronger resistance than the other model ones, making it less easy to use. everything else about the go is great in my opinion. just the stick isn't