Any way to edit Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward save file?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by khangress, Feb 21, 2016.

1. khangress
    OP

khangress GBAtemp Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    Canada
    I got the infamous save bug, after 20 hours of playing. Is there any way I can alter the save data to get rid of the bug?

Also, I saved during a novel section, not a puzzle section. I've been trying to be careful, but the bug happened anyways.

2. Scarlet

Scarlet Scarlet Sword

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    Maaaaaan, the same happened to me, and I was about 18 hours in. If you can't find a fix, don't give up on the game. It's well worth sticking with <3

3. khangress
    OP

Aug 30, 2015
    Canada
    I forgot to mention that I have a backup, but theres 2 problems. One being that it has less time spent in it, and the second being that I don't know how to extract the savedata for only VLR and not everything else

4. protomouse

protomouse Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2014
    I'm currently replaying the game after being bit by this. I'm using the native 3DS save data backup function after every save. With the game selected on the home screen, tap the little triangle at the bottom and it'll let you create a backup for just that game. I believe you can create up to 30 backups.

5. darklinkpower

darklinkpower GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2009
    Mexico
    oh that sucks. In which part were you when you saved exactly? Was it during a "ally/betray" section?

6. Sgt. Lulz

Sgt. Lulz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2010
    I believe the save bug affects the Pressure Exchange Chamber AKA PEC and Crew's Quarters.
    There's also the minigame freeze bug, which affects ALL minigames.
    Basically, if you're gonna save, try to save during a novel section whenever possible.

I don't think there's actually any tools to edit save data, and considering how save editing wouldn't add any interesting features and there's very little interest in the actual game, I don't think it'll ever happen, unfortunately.

7. khangress
    OP

Aug 30, 2015
    Canada
    Damn, I might as well just watch a walkthrough. Only reason I wanted to avoid it is because I might come across flashback scenes I never had in the game.

8. JK_

JK_ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    I can grab my cart and see if I still have my 100% complete save for you if you want. You can just use it to continue the route you were going.

9. Sgt. Lulz

Sgt. Lulz GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2010
    Try to redo the save in the middle branch so they don't see
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. Disco

Disco GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2006
    Croatia
    Croatia
    Argh...I bought this game when it was released, and then I read about this bug.
    Still haven't played (I love 999), because I think I would eat the cartridge if the bug affected me!

But I would try this tactic of constant save backups, didn't know you can do that with carts....or can you (I am at the work now, so...can't try it) ?

11. JK_

JK_ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    Oh yeah. Forgot about that. I tried starting a blank one, but the files aren't even the same size, so scanning for changes isn't going to work to get it done.

I managed to get through it with no issues. I was really careful about not saving in puzzle rooms though. Backing up a VLR cartridge is going to require SDF or my manager though. *hax doesn't work with it. It just shows a yellow screen and crashes.

Disco likes this.
  12. Disco

Disco GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2006
    Croatia
    Croatia
    Can you please provide link for your manager, I have 2 N3DSs, one legit , and one with GW and emunand 10.5. So I can do it on my hacked 3DS ;)

Last edited by Disco, Feb 21, 2016
  13. JK_

JK_ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-jks-savemanager-homebrew-cia-save-manager.413143/
    You can use either build. I'm using the test one and it still opens the cartridge no problem. It doesn't work with Gateway carts though. You're going to have to use your retail version. For now, at least.

Disco likes this.
  14. Cuber456

Cuber456 Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2012
    United States
    Yeah that sucks.

I'm not sure if there has been any sort of analysis done on VLR's save file format so we don't know what exactly gets corrupted and to what degree. For all we know, the bug screws with one byte in the save data rending the game to freak out. If the damage were minimal then it might be possible to patch corrupted save data. Even if this is possible, this is more of a bandage than a true solution.

A real solution would be to go and understand *why* the bug occurs in the first place. After, we could go and make a patch of our own so nobody has to deal with this bullshit again. It appears that the bug has the greatest probability of happening in the PEC escape room. However, reports say it can still happen elsewhere in the game. The kicker is that we still don't have the tools available to understand the why yet. The best tool we have is NTR CFW debugger. However, that program doesn't support usable breakpoints. I'm not sure if there is another similar program that does.

Until then, if you decide to pick the 3DS version of VLR back up, stick to saving in novel sections only. If you have the ability to backup your save data by whatever means, do it.

15. khangress
    OP

Aug 30, 2015
    Canada
    Is it possible that I recover my save file using these steps?

0) install previous emuNAND and backup current emuNAND (not in that order)
    1) run homebrew menu in my emuNAND (apparently its possible with homebrew_launcher, still have to test)
    2) run VLR via hans, make it save to SD card
    3) save file on computer
    4) install backed-up emuNAND
    5) load old save file via hans

16. ayurai

ayurai Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2016
    Brazil
    So, no save editors or anything ?

17. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
  18. ayurai

ayurai Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2016
    Brazil
    I mean, not would be easy just create a save editor, its so hard to do it ? ( I honestly have no idea ). I imagine its just some code lines to confirm if you went through certain parts. (I may be terribly wrong)

Edit: or at least something (like a homebrew) to automatically press A to me =X ?

Last edited by ayurai, Aug 10, 2016
  19. LongLiveTheKing

LongLiveTheKing GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I just got it with the black screen save thing T_T