Hardware Any way to disable the speakers {not just turning volume off}

MarkPrime24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any way I can disable speakers and make them act like they are not a part of system's hardware..[anymore]

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's a long story but don't worry it is not because of camera shutter sound
That doesn't sound creepy at all.
Basically, disassemble the 3DS, disconnect the speakers. With the right tools and the right disassembly guide that should be a matter of 15 minutes

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It's not possible to disable them without unsoldering the speakers from the system (which I wouldn't recommend).

However, it's possible to kill the volume switch from software which lasts a reboot or a non-sleepmode (the mcu sysmodule initializes registers when it starts, and some registers also get rewritten each time you exit sleep mode). I'm not sure about DS/DSi mode, but in 3DS mode you can disable the volume slider.

MarkPrime24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not possible to disable them without unsoldering the speakers from the system (which I wouldn't recommend).

However, it's possible to kill the volume switch from software which lasts a reboot or a non-sleepmode (the mcu sysmodule initializes registers when it starts, and some registers also get rewritten each time you exit sleep mode). I'm not sure about DS/DSi mode, but in 3DS mode you can disable the volume slider.
Which Software??

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Please can you give its download link..

Don't touch any other regsters otherwise you could damage some hardware.

Using DPAD UP/DOWN (holding R will go in increments of 10h) go to register 58h and 59h, and write FFh to both of them using B. You can use DPAD LEFT/RIGHT to change the value (if you subtract one from 00h it'll wrap back to FFh).
To restore the volume capabilities just reboot the 3DS.

https://puu.sh/C2kHW/0aee029638.cia

MarkPrime24

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't touch any other regsters otherwise you could damage some hardware.

Using DPAD UP/DOWN (holding R will go in increments of 10h) go to register 58h and 59h, and write FFh to both of them using B. You can use DPAD LEFT/RIGHT to change the value (if you subtract one from 00h it'll wrap back to FFh).
To restore the volume capabilities just reboot the 3DS.

https://puu.sh/C2kHW/0aee029638.cia
Thanks you very much..

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I just remembered that this thread existed. I have finally created a patch a month ago which fully disables the speaker in 3DS mode (doesn't even cause a speaker pop to happen).

This patch works from 9.2.0 all the way up to the latest version (at the time of writing).

Steps for Luma:
- power off your 3DS
- while holding SELECT, turn on your 3DS
- in the Luma config, enable FIRM loading and game patching, and press START to save the settings
- create a folder on your SD: /luma/titles/0004013000001802/ (that is, 0004 - 0130 - 0000 - 1802, for easier readability)
- create code.ips, and fill it up with the contents listed below, using a hex editor (CTRX works if you start with a non-empty file, or HxD on Windows)
- reboot your 3DS, and now the speaker won't function anymore, and the speaker pop is also gone now

Contents:
Code:
50 41 54 43 48 00 21 8C 00 04 1F 00 00 EA 45 4F 46

WARNING! Make sure you have a way to rename code.ips in case the patch keeps crashing your 3DS on boot!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1