Hacking **Any** way to copy protected saves with just Bannerbomb?

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know and love Wii homebrew. Others don't. I want some save files from people without hacked Wiis. The easiest way I can think of is with bannerbomb, but I've heard Save Game Manager GX etc. require a cIOS. Is there any way to copy protected save files with bannerbomb, and no cIOS?

Possible methods, I haven't tried any with non-modded Wii:
Save Game Manager GX (probably needs cIOS)
Rebooter programs?
Other save backup programs (waninkoko made one, probably needs cIOS)
NAND backup (probably needs cIOS)

And if rebooter is the only working method, can I unpack someone else's DATA.bin? Or do I have to copy it to my Wii first?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know if homebrew has full access to all saves if the app is identifed as system menu. When you launch an app from bannerbomb and don't do an IOS Reload, it should be identified as system menu. You can try fstoolbox, skip IOS Reload and try to backup the saves, but it's "a bit" more complicated than all other methods combined.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
W hat said:
"Using FS Toolbox without proper brick protection(BootMii as boot2 + nand backup) is suicide."

Not the kind of app I'd be willing to ask people to run so they can help me out.

edit: Quickly looking on Wiibrew for apps related to this:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Savegame_Extractor
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Geck:wtf:S
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Banana_Patcher (needs a trucha IOS - no go?)

The savegame extractor needs a cIOS, an IOS with some features regular IOS don't have and that installed as IOS249. The latest Gecko OS needs a patched IOS36 to allow rebooting. I don't know how the banana patcher works, it says it needs an IOS with trucha bug, but it could be that it needs ES_Identify as well and/or the nand permissions patch. And if it doesn't allow to select an IOS, i don't even know which IOS needs these features. But if it allows to skip the IOS Reload, you can try your luck with it.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gecko 1.07[a] is the earliest nocopy copy Gecko. Would that also require patched IOS?

I wish the bootmii devs would make some more apps. I know they hate script kiddies and pirates, but I just want some saves. >_>

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one of the priiloader hacks allows you to save copy protected save games. You don't need a "FULL" softmod to install it but you need a trucha bugged IOS (or a cIOS) to install it... I think.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it depends on what IOSes you have and what system menu and all that. if your wii is still on 3.2u, bannerbomb -> geckoOS -> rebooter will work right out of the box. If youre using 4.2u, it wont work.

assuming you have the most up to date official update...
i think there isnt an app right now that can do it besides FStoolbox. that part about "...blablabla suicide blablabla...." is only there for writing files back from the sd card back to the nand. but you can always pack the save on your PC and use the system menu to reinstall it on your wii, so there is 0 chance of brick. you just have to jump through a lot of hoops since you dont want to use a cIOS.

since 95% of homebrew reload IOS when they start, you will lose the ability to access all those files. You have a shot at it if you can remove the IOS reload from some apps. And no program that uses DIVerify ( FTPii, geckoOS, ect ) would work for you with unpatched IOS36. So you can forget about all of those unless you want to patch something.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think this is time for a new "pussie - rebooter" app. just a simple rebooter that can apply patches and reboot the system menu should work for 4.2 and below.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Wiibrew. The saves I'm looking for are for Endless Ocean. I'm just guessing that most people aren't willing to hack their Wiis. (Not broke, don't change...)

W hat said:
Giantpune, you are a beacon of light shining through the darkness of GBAtemp.

What hoops are associated with bannerbomb + FStoolbox (no cIOS?)

What patched IOS method would I tell random Internet people to use with the least amount of change to their Wii? Can bannerbomb patch an IOS? (I'm pretty sure everyone I would ask would hate installing the *gasp* homebrew channel)

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Being so picky about installing a patched ios is just ridiculous... If you think installing content onto your wii is dangerous then what drives you to install homebrew channel? Or bootmii as ios?

If you are so picky about piracy then just guide those people to use tools like DopMii to patch IOS 36 then you can use those save manager tools (minor tweaking and recompiling needed though)

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
Being so picky about installing a patched ios is just ridiculous... If you think installing content onto your wii is dangerous then what drives you to install homebrew channel? Or bootmii as ios?

If you are so picky about piracy then just guide those people to use tools like DopMii to patch IOS 36 then you can use those save manager tools (minor tweaking and recompiling needed though)
Ugh. Here's what is on my Wii right now:

HBC
Bootmii
cIOS

etc.

I'm asking because I want to get save files for Endless Ocean from people without modded Wiis.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
W hat said:
WiiCrazy said:

Ugh. Here's what is on my Wii right now:

HBC
Bootmii
cIOS

etc.

I'm asking because I want to get save files for Endless Ocean from people without modded Wiis.

Savefiles can be obtained from bootmii nand dumps by the way... No piracy related apps needed through in this process... Though it requires a long otherwise unneeded process to dump the nand image into a filesystem.

1. Backup nand using bootmii
2. Extract the fs using segher's zestig or equivalent pc tool
3. Find the relevant savefile in the extracted fs

I believe you can also use cboot2 which is legal to build but illegal to share once built... then you can launch save game manager gx through it... no touching into nand... gc controller support might be needed though...

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiCrazy said:
I believe you can also use cboot2 which is legal to build but illegal to share once built... then you can launch save game manager gx through it... no touching into nand... gc controller support might be needed though...

You'd have to take out the IOS reload for it to work with cboot2. You should be able to use that same dol with bannerbomb so less steps would be needed.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
WiiCrazy said:

You'd have to take out the IOS reload for it to work with cboot2. You should be able to use that same dol with bannerbomb so less steps would be needed.

Yeah probably, recompiling necessarily needed... By the way, for the bannerbomb trick to work the app should be (should have been) compiled using new libogc series which doesn't do IOS reload upon initialization.

ps: I'm not sure about the bannerbomb trick, anyone tried before? App might still need to identify as system menu regardless of being launched from menu or not... not sure about it.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please test out pussieloader.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=222...p;#entry2771265

it should allow you to dump saves without installing that dangerous homebrew channel. i still dont have any confirmations about it working on any wii except my own. but so far it has worked on every wii its been tested on 100%
smile.gif
i like them odds.

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad I caused something productive to happen.

I HAVE A HACKED WII

with Homebrew Channel
with cIOS
with USB Loader GX
with cMIOS
etc., etc., etc.!!!!!!!!

W hat

Rhythm Heaven Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
W hat said:
I want some save files from people without hacked Wiis..... Is there any way to copy protected save files with bannerbomb, and no cIOS?
Yes, exactly. If I wasn't clear, Bob will help.

W Hat: I have a hacked Wii because I'm not mentally ill. I am aware of the benefits of a hacked Wii, but I need a specific save file for an obscure game! To top it off, most people with said save file are probably over 30 without hacked Wiis!
Bob: I am scared of change. Hacks are bad.
W Hat: [le facepalm]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn