Any way to convert GBA emulator saves to G6 Lite??

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by fatfree, Aug 3, 2006.

1. fatfree
    OP

Newcomer fatfree Advanced Member

Before I got the G6 Lite, I used the GBA emulator, "VisualBoy Advance" to play the roms. It creates a *.sav file as the saves in the game. Is there anyways to convert this to the G6 Lite saves? I notice that the file sizes are different.....

2. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
  3. fatfree
    OP

I found out that I can just rename the emulators *.sav file to *.0 and it will work in G6 Lite, but not vice versa.

Hm...

I will post in that other thread you pointed me at, and see what they'll say. Thanks.

4. Falkentyne

Member Falkentyne GBAtemp Regular

United States

It works vice versa. I tested that already. (that's how I got my final fantasy 4 advance saves transferred).
    You just have to make sure you restart the G6 once after saving, or the sram won't be written to the flash cart from the battery. (without using "soft reset").

5. fatfree
    OP

Hm.... I tried it and the emulator wouldn't read the save file.

I got a save file from the G6 (*.0) and I renamed it to *.sav

Then I opened up the VisualBoy Advance emulator, and it wouldn't read the save. It acted like there is no save to begin with.

This file (*.0) from the G6 is the same exact one I renamed from the emulator, so it's not empty.... just not readable by the emulator once the G6 touched it.

6. Falkentyne

United States
    That's really weird.
    I'll try it again right now for you and report back.

*edit*
    I deleted the "save state" and the sram .sav file, then copied the one over from the G6, loaded up FF4 advance and it worked perfectly.
    Are you sure you aren't naming the files correctly?
    Also what version of VBA are you using ?

The save file is 128 KB when you copy it over from the G6, but VBA changes it to 64 KB after it accesses it. Of course this COULD be caused by the difference between FAT and (NTFS?) beats me...

7. fatfree
    OP

I can't let it work with Zelda - Minish cap.

Let me try another game..... and let you know if I can get it to work.

8. fatfree
    OP

I tried Sword of Mana, and it's not working either.

I've been playing Sword of Mana for 3 days now, so the save is definitely in there. I copied the *.0 file from G6, and renamed it *.sav (exactly as the VBA would have named it, even the main name), but it won't load up....

9. Falkentyne

United States
    What is sword of mana?

i'm sure I haveit somewhere, though.
    I'll try it and report back.
    I think this is a VBA problem, though.

When you copy the saves over from the G6, WITHOUT running VBA yet, are they 128 KB ?

Ok it doesn't work with that Zelda game.
    All I can think of is that Zelda's save is only 8k, while Final fantasy IV's save is 64 kb. But when you use them on the G6 Lite, all save files are 128kb. Perhaps VBA is having problems reading it because of the large difference between 128kb and 8k. But what's odd is, it DOES say "loaded battery", and the save is suddenly 8k again but no data is there-.-

fatfree, if you're still reading this,
    what size is the save file on that sword of mana game thingy? (when you save it on VBA?)

10. illumina

Member illumina GBAtemp Regular

try naming it something different and do file> import > battery file. pick the .sav and see if that works

11. Falkentyne

United States
    Doesn't work, unfortunately.
    There's something about the save or the size of the copied file that VBA doesn't like.

12. Falkentyne

United States
    Ok I got it to work but it isn't easy.

you have to HEX EDIT the file and DELETE The bytes after "8191"=8k. Since 0 is the very first offset and is a value (the numbers start at 0, NOT 1), you delete the bytes from 8192 onward (8192=2000h). Delete everything from 2000h onward and VBA will recognize the save data.

So I was right; it's a matter of the save being too big for what VBA expects for the game.
    I don't know why Final fantasy 4 advance works; probably because the save is already 64k.

Outphase, you think you could add this to your convertor?

13. fatfree
    OP

Ok, I'm back.

Thanks for the experiment, and finding a solution. I think other people had same thoughts as me, but didn't think it was possible.

So what was the point of the other thread of the guy making the application to convert save files to G6 files if all it requires is a simple renaming?

14. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    the file has to be the exact size to work with g6s, it's a little bit more than renaming with some games.