Gaming Any way to bypass the schools firewall

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
At school we can't go on certain sites and especially, we can't download files that are too large.
Like I wanted to download all the Tempcasts, and it didn't work
frown.gif

So any method I could try to make it work?

I have Browser9 already, so I can visit certain blocked sites.
But I mainly want to download some files.

m-p{3}

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I would suggest using an SSH server, in which you could tunnel your web browser's traffic through an encrypted tunnel.

Most SSH server (shell account server) usually requires a one-time fee donation like Bshellz.net or silenceisdefeat.org. I have an elite account on Bshellz.net, and it helped me several times.

I also have my own personal SSH server at home, but I don't provide access to others, sorry
wink.gif

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Hotspot shield has always served me well. It's a kind of ssh tunnel service thing, the only downside is that it places ads at the top of every page.

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I second SSH, I use it everyday for bypassing my school's censorware.
Here are some guides to set it up on Ubuntu Linux (it's also possible on windows but I wouldn't recommend it):
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHHowto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AdvancedOpenSSH

I actually have an OpenSSH server running on my WiFi router on the DD-WRT operating system, if you have a compatible router you can set a server up pretty easily and with little power usage.

Also, make sure you use a private/public key pair to do your SSH logins, and don't run your server on the standard port 22, too easy to detect and script kiddies would love nothing more than to crack your password and root your box. I suggest port 443, because then it looks like you're just going to an HTTPS site to a packet sniffer.

Also, make your browser that you tunnel with send your DNS requests through your tunnel, because otherwise your DNS requests will still be visible to a packet sniffer, therefore the admins can still see what websites you're going to. This is pretty easy to do with Firefox and the FoxyProxy extension, there is a box you can check in FoxyProxy to send your DNS requests through your SOCKS proxy (SSH tunnel).

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question, I've used Ubuntu before and it was a pain in the ass because of a few problems on my laptop that overwrote authenticationx due to some issues, but in ANY case...

I'd really want to use an SSH however I only have one main PC (my gaming PC) and I normally leave it on, running Vista. Is there no way to allow a safe SSH using Vista, or to be able to keep that SSH running in the background while running Vista (I'm fairly sure that it would be impossible but heh) :S

I know that Windows is nowhere near as safe as using *nix, but I play a lot of games and crap that require me to use it for now. I'll eventually have another PC laying around that I could do it on, but it seems to me that it would suck to leave it up using so much power all the time just to use as an SSH server.

Another question is, is it possible to just remotely control my PC so that let's say from school I can be on my laptop and set up downloads on my PC at home, and other such stuff.

I don't mean to jack this, but making a thread seems like a waste as it's mostly answered here, and I'm just curious as to something related. :S

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pyrofyr said:
Question, I've used Ubuntu before and it was a pain in the ass because of a few problems on my laptop that overwrote authenticationx due to some issues, but in ANY case...

I'd really want to use an SSH however I only have one main PC (my gaming PC) and I normally leave it on, running Vista. Is there no way to allow a safe SSH using Vista, or to be able to keep that SSH running in the background while running Vista (I'm fairly sure that it would be impossible but heh) :S

I know that Windows is nowhere near as safe as using *nix, but I play a lot of games and crap that require me to use it for now. I'll eventually have another PC laying around that I could do it on, but it seems to me that it would suck to leave it up using so much power all the time just to use as an SSH server.

Another question is, is it possible to just remotely control my PC so that let's say from school I can be on my laptop and set up downloads on my PC at home, and other such stuff.

I don't mean to jack this, but making a thread seems like a waste as it's mostly answered here, and I'm just curious as to something related. :S

No problem, you can use this topic atm. It's vacation now, so unable to test all these things.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine, I can wait, I'm probably best off asking on a forum dedicated to this anyway, but you guys are like uber pros, so yeah.

Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of router is it that worked with that OS that allowed SSH with low power usage? /hmm

Oh, and the last question, can I get a similar thing going with PC Anywhere and similar things? I'd want to also be able to mildly control my PC, like setup downloads and stuff. I'll be doing research of my own for now. :]

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
That's fine, I can wait, I'm probably best off asking on a forum dedicated to this anyway, but you guys are like uber pros, so yeah.

Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of router is it that worked with that OS that allowed SSH with low power usage? /hmm

Oh, and the last question, can I get a similar thing going with PC Anywhere and similar things? I'd want to also be able to mildly control my PC, like setup downloads and stuff. I'll be doing research of my own for now. :]

The router can be any router that is capable of running an open-source Linux-based firmware, such as DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or Tomato. There are a few others but those are the most popular.
I use DD-WRT on my ASUS WL-500W.
Just search your router's model here and see if you can install it on your router. You need to be able to run at least the dd-wrt-mini firmware to have an SSH option.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/dd-wrt/hardware.html
And install instructions for many different routers:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

Most of the time if you can install one of these firmwares you can install all of them, but make sure just in case. DD-WRT and Tomato seem to be the most user-friendly, OpenWRT is powerful but hard to use and I believe it comes with no GUI by default (not sure about this) so use that only if you really know what you're doing.

To do remote access to your computer you could use X11 forwarding (built-in feature of SSH) or you could tunnel VNC or maybe even Terminal Services (not sure if that last one is possible). Of cource if you use X11 forwarding the SSH server would have to run on the computer itself I think, but you could use VNC over SSH even if the SSH server is on your router but the VNC server is behind it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs