Hacking Any way to block updates on Sysnand? Even with hardware mod?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi guys, Id like to conitnue street passing with my 3DS sysnand, but that means wifi on and 3DS closed, which is almost sure to grab the update (not install it, but start popping up the nag prompt). Is there any way to prevent this from happening and still be able to streetpass? (Yes I realize I can streetpass on Emunand, but thats not the question here... question is about sysnand).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I saw something the other day , I you press L+R+A+UP when powering up the console it will take you straight to the update screen......if you pick cancel from here it will remove the pre-downloaded update, this won't stop it from just downloading again, but it at least removes the prompt

In the long run if your worried about accidentally updating a hard,do would at least mean you always have a way back from any accidental updates

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, Id like to conitnue street passing with my 3DS sysnand, but that means wifi on and 3DS closed, which is almost sure to grab the update (not install it, but start popping up the nag prompt). Is there any way to prevent this from happening and still be able to streetpass? (Yes I realize I can streetpass on Emunand, but thats not the question here... question is about sysnand).
This worked for me to block system updates. Hopefully it works for you also.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-the-3ds-from-receiving-the-wifi-update-using-opendns.375643/

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
This worked for me to block system updates. Hopefully it works for you also.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-the-3ds-from-receiving-the-wifi-update-using-opendns.375643/

Thats for your home, not street passing out and about..

if you want to street pass but not update, just remove all wi-fi connections from the settings? especially cos it already sounds like you don't use wi-fi

3DS will still connect to Spot pass locations, which are on every corner.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats for your home, not street passing out and about..

3DS will still connect to Spot pass locations, which are on every corner.
oops, did not realise, but i guess you are out of luck then from the sound of it since there are spotpass locations everywhere wanting to use street pass.

Reactions: derkiederk

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you have a hardware mod, don't worry at all. If you accidentally update, you can flash whenever. Just keep a copy of your 4.5 sysNAND in multiple places (local HD, dropbox, skydrive, etc...). There's really no way to block it outside your home, as it's dependent on the wifi network.

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If you have a hardware mod, don't worry at all. If you accidentally update, you can flash whenever. Just keep a copy of your 4.5 sysNAND in multiple places (local HD, dropbox, skydrive, etc...). There's really no way to block it outside your home, as it's dependent on the wifi network.

There is got to be a way to tell the system that Spotpass locations have some random SSID, so that it doesnt try to connect toreal ones as it will be looking for ones that dont exist.

Reactions: 2Hack

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
What's a spotpass?

Nintendo Wifi locations, aka every starbucks, or mobile carrier store, or McDonnalds or one of other 100 other chains/stores that have free wifi... 3DS auto connects to those and grabs any updates/news etc etc, its like connecting to a WiFi but it does it automatically even if you have no WiFi set up.

Reactions: MattKimura

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Wifi locations, aka every starbucks, or mobile carrier store, or McDonnalds or one of other 100 other chains/stores that have free wifi... 3DS auto connects to those and grabs any updates/news etc etc, its like connecting to a WiFi but it does it automatically even if you have no WiFi set up.

Does it auto-update, or does it at least prompt you first?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is recovery booting? And is there a video of it or something?

Press L+R+DPad Up+A, and power the console on. It will boot to the update screen after taking a bit to load. Select the "do not update" option (don't remember the exact wording at the moment) and it will power off, and the update nag will be gone.

I can confirm this works both on the Nintendo 2DS and Target's Super Smash Bros. 4 3DS demo units XD

Reactions: MattKimura

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I got this in my router to block the nintendo update.

It gives me internet access and i can streetpass, the only things i can't do is on my 9.5 sysnand n3ds (it's blocked for my other 3ds systems)
- Access eshop
- Install game updates
- Install FW update (tried this when i updated 9.4 to 9.5 on n3ds)
- Buy anything (themes mii park games)
- Get FW Update Notification!

I can:
- Internet
- Use Youtube
- Streetpass / Nintendo Hotspot / Spotpass
- No update notification cause it can't connect to the update server

Never tried:
- Online gaming

So to do any of those i need to uncheck them all (and not forget to recheck them all after i'm done)

Desktop.png

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I got this in my router to block the nintendo update.

It gives me internet access and i can streetpass, the only things i can't do is on my 9.5 sysnand n3ds (it's blocked for my other 3ds systems)
- Access eshop
- Install game updates
- Install FW update (tried this when i updated 9.4 to 9.5 on n3ds)
- Buy anything (themes mii park games)
- Get FW Update Notification!

I can:
- Internet
- Use Youtube
- Streetpass / Nintendo Hotspot / Spotpass
- No update notification cause it can't connect to the update server

Never tried:
- Online gaming

So to do any of those i need to uncheck them all (and not forget to recheck them all after i'm done)

Desktop.png

Thats all nice and dandy... but are you streepassing with yourself at your house? Whats the point in that. The whole point is to streetpass with other people around town... and no HomePass is dumb, I want to run into real people.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Thats all nice and dandy... but are you streepassing with yourself at your house? Whats the point in that. The whole point is to streetpass with other people around town... and no HomePass is dumb, I want to run into real people.

I'm streetpassing with the whole world :)
I got a raspberry PI modelB with spillpass v1.6 on it as streetpas relay, it cycles every 8-10 minutes between 12 known mac's of Nintendo Zones, i get people from USA, till China etc....
(Ow, and yes the few kids i know in town with a 3DS, when they pass my house with there 3DS can streetpass with me :) it's not myself between my 3ds systems)

[EDIT]
When streetpassing outside, when you meet real people, you don't have to be affraid to get an update! it connects to other systems, but not to Internet, unless you configure the internet settings to make connection with your 3DS, you don't need internet to streetpass.
Just check it yourself in the top left corner of your system, when the WiFi switch is on and you are connected to your internet, it says "Internet", when you leave your house and it loses the WiFi signal, it switches to "Streetpass"
Assuming, like you say, you want to go out and meet real people with 3DS systems so you can streetpass, your first question is not needed, as long as you don't configure other WiFi AP's in your 3DS from outside (public WiFi)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why not just use the real StreetPass? Theres no real risk, especially since the update nag has been proven deletable. Like I said, I can confirm that the so-called "recovery mode" exists, because I was able to boot into it on a demo 3DS that was designed to be locked to Super Smash Bros 4

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Why not just use the real StreetPass? Theres no real risk, especially since the update nag has been proven deletable. Like I said, I can confirm that the so-called "recovery mode" exists, because I was able to boot into it on a demo 3DS that was designed to be locked to Super Smash Bros 4

Yes it works, i've done it and can confirm that it works on a 9.4 system (from the neighbour) with update nag, the "recovery mode" removed the nag screen once you get that by accident, it's been gone for a few days now :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off