Homebrew Any way to back up GB(C) saves to PC?

Jordan10la

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Now I have a feeling this is impossible but I'm going to ask just in case. Is there any way to back up GB saves to my computer? I really would like to never lose my crystal save. I put a lot of work into that.
Items I have:
-GB
-GBA
-EZ V 3-in-1
-NDS
-CycloDS

I was thinking something like you do to backup NDS games/saves only using my 3-in-1 instead of my Cyclo. Once again I am aware this is a stretch but worth asking.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
None of that will work (the GB you have no hardware for, the GBA is either GB mode or it is not (hence the need for an emulator) and the DS lacks GB entirely), we did however have a thread on just this subject the other day (read the whole thing):
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=91418

edit in response to below. Japhle is correct, you have no flash cart/cheat device we can attempt to use in this.

Japhle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jordan10la said:
FAST6191 said:
...the GB you have no hardware for...
Well I have a 2 GBC's and a GB pocket and a GB classic. Is that what you meant?

I think he may hae been meaning something along the lines of like like a Cheat device or flashcart thing all though I have no Idea what I am talking about.

Jordan10la

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Japhle said:
Jordan10la said:
FAST6191 said:
...the GB you have no hardware for...
Well I have a 2 GBC's and a GB pocket and a GB classic. Is that what you meant?

I think he may hae been meaning something along the lines of like like a Cheat device or flashcart thing all though I have no Idea what I am talking about.
True, that makes more sense. Anyway I backed it up on my MegaMem it's still not on my computer but at least it's backed up

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An idea strikes but you will not like it.
Gamesharks often feature memory viewers (it has been close to 10 years since I last saw a Gb gameshark but a lot of the devices like that do)
See
http://nocash.emubase.de/pandocs.htm#memorymap

The save ram is then likely mapped to the device meaning you can read it off it using the gameshark and note it down elsewhere. It will take ages but it should work.

It will probably also help to fire up the rom in an emulator to help you see what you need.

Jordan10la

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
Seehttp://nocash.emubase.de/pandocs.htm#memorymap
OK taht site doesn't make much sense to me.
QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Sep 25 2008, 06:32 PM) An idea strikes but you will not like it.
Gamesharks often feature memory viewers (it has been close to 10 years since I last saw a Gb gameshark but a lot of the devices like that do)

The save ram is then likely mapped to the device meaning you can read it off it using the gameshark and note it down elsewhere. It will take ages but it should work.

It will probably also help to fire up the rom in an emulator to help you see what you need.
So it would be like gameshark codes? Only a lot? I still don't get how I would go about finding the codes. That is if I understand you correctly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you search for codes on hardware (as was done for stuff like this and the N64) you will end up with a view of the memory. Your gameshark/AR may lack this though and thus is not much use.

That link shows you where/explains about the save memory.

Your job would be to read said memory and transcribe it to a normal file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu