Question Any way to add a WiFi connection without going online?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by josukal, Aug 17, 2018.

1. josukal
    OP

josukal Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2018
    Germany
    Hi,

before I used rcm mode for the first time, I deleted my wifi connection and set it to flight mode. Now I want to use the FTP server to transfer files.

I blocked the internet connection for my Nintendo Switch and let it connect to my router. The Switch is then trying to go online and after a while it gives me an error that it couldn't connect to the internet obviously.

While it's trying, I can use the FTP server and transfer files, but once I cancel the process, because I have no other choice. It will be disconnected from my router.

So, is there a way to connect to my router without going online? And if I buy an ethernet adapter, will it work then? Or is there some weird process when setting it up, too?

2. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Why not just stay online?

3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Kill the connection to the Internet on your router if it can allow it.

MonMonz likes this.
  4. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    I'm guessing they don't want to be banned?

5. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Don't want to get banned? HAHAHA! WE'RE ALL GONNA BE BANNED REGARDLESS! Nintendo ain't playing around

6. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    A console that never connects to the internet usually doesn't get banned, unless Nintendo is Psychic.

Plex7 likes this.
  7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    But that's the same thing as being banned.

LightOffPro likes this.
  8. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    No if you have a clean NAND backup...

9. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Okay...I know everyone is waiting on emunand to come out so sysnand can be used for legit purchase games and online play. Emunand completely offline, mods, and backups being used. If anyone is afraid of getting banned, avoid using CFW 100% until Emunand is released

10. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    No, if you have a NAND backup you can still theoretically restore that and go online without risk. Being banned removes that option.

11. josukal
    OP

josukal Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2018
    Germany
    Thanks, but unfortunately, that doesn't work. It just fails at the last step of checking the internet connection and if that fails, it will delete the connection to the router from the Switch.

I guess my best bet would be in buying an ethernet adapter, unless the Switch will deactivate the ethernet connection, too. If it can't connect to the internet.

12. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Restoring clean nand backup after getting banned will not unban you

13. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    I think if you can figure out what server it checks to see if there's connectivity you can block everything but that. Hopefully it shouldn't transmit any ban worthy data in that step, and it just checks if it can actually connect to the internet.

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It's conntest.nintendowifi.net isn't it?
    I think that could work. Doesn't hurt to try, at least. USB ethernet adapters are pretty cheap and you could still get use out of it even if it doesn't help with this. Best get one with USB 3.0.
    There's no setup required when you plug in an ethernet adapter, it just connects automatically once the OS loads. So it would probably work.

You could also try using the captive portal trick, which will block the Switch from internet and open the browser, as long as you keep the browser open it should stay connected. I'm talking about the method that used to be used to run homebrew.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Aug 17, 2018
    josukal likes this.
  15. jaysea

jaysea GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Probably means he wants to restore the nand prior to going online and thus preventing a ban :)

16. Thetoto

Thetoto GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 10, 2018
    France
    I'm talking about be offline.

17. mrmouse781

mrmouse781 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    United States
    To get a clean nand backup you need CFW already anyway right (Hekate)? So even if you do that option of backing up to restore later with emunand, wouldn't Nintendo most likely still see you used a CFW in the past and ban you anyway. All theoretical but seems Nintendo has their bases covered to ban regardless unless you literally don't use CFW at all until after emuNand but who knows when that'll be. I may be wrong... Either way, I am enjoying my SX OS and won't use online (price you pay for enjoying the CFW, and well worth it overall).

18. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    Usually the NAND is dumped by booting from a payload or linux, isn't it? It doesn't seem very detectable.

19. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    If you do it via payload it means you have to go into RCM and i believe that is saved on the console's logs so Nintendo can detect it

20. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    Is RCM logged or is shorting pin 10 logged? It seems like the OS itself would have to do the logging, RCM probably doesn't know how to access the filesystem, nor does it even need the eMMC present.