Any Way of a Bigger Internal HDD or PS2 Games on External.

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by mar789, Jul 31, 2015.

1. mar789
    OP

mar789 Master Italian

Jul 18, 2011
    Canada
    I know the limit is 1TB and that's currently what I have. I was wondering if there has been any news or anything of being able to get 1.5TB or a 2TB internal.

I generally keep most things on my internal drive but I can run everything off of an external but the one thing I play the most that I can't run off of external is my PS2 games. If there has been nothing in terms of a bigger internal drive does anyone know of any progress or news towards PS2 games on an external HDD.

Thanks.

2. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    PS2 can only run off the internal - just the way it's coded by Sony. Nothing really is going to change there and probably never will.

Best to just move PS3/PSX games to external.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    AFAIK, there's no real "limit" for the size of the internal HDD space. As long as you can find a HDD that fits, it'll work with the PS3. I know people who have gotten 2TB HDDs working fine in PS3's, so I would imagine you could just grab one of those to get it working fine.

Otherwise, you'll have to just move your PS3 games to the external.

4. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Annoyingly, some of those games simply insist on running internal as well.
    PS3's file system can theoretically address up to a 2TB hard drive per volume, internal or external. Problem is that up until recently, there has simply not been a means of having a 2TB internal drive in a PS3 to actually test that.

5. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    If you can find someone running a 2Tb 2.5" drive please send a screenshot or post he model they used.. I've tried a couple of 2.5 drives with 2Tb capacity and while the PS3 detected them, they would fail the format.

1.5TB internals have worked fine though.

6. mar789
    OP

mar789 Master Italian

Jul 18, 2011
    Canada
    I'd like to get a 1.5TB but for the life of me I'm simply unable to find anywhere that sells them, at least at a decent price.

7. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    They were pretty rare to begin with. I know HGST made a couple, but even then as you said, they fetch quite the price (like $200-300) which makes it an unreasonable solution.

8. mar789
    OP

mar789 Master Italian

Jul 18, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah, I found one on Newegg a few months ago for about $100 but didn't jump fast enough and it was gone next time I looked unfortunately.

9. mar789
    OP

mar789 Master Italian

Jul 18, 2011
    Canada
    If anyone is interested, Seagate has put out some 1.5TB. I just bought one from Best Buy and I've seen them on Newegg, NCIX, Amazon. I personally don't like Amazon but I'm willing to compromise for the 1.5TB.