Any updates to avoid if I want custom dvd firmware?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by KrAzY3, Dec 27, 2009.

1. KrAzY3
    OP

Newcomer KrAzY3 Member

United States
    I have a Arcade with a Jasper. I believe the firmware on the DVD drive can be customized (it should be 8. something) but it's a big pain and I'm not completely sure if I could be banned or what not so I was thinking about setting up everything for Live and playing old Xbox games (I have a 120 GB hard drive for it) and all of that before I try messing with the firmware. Is there any update that will mess up my chance to customize the firmware later or will anything I do on Live or what not leave the DVD drive the way it is?

Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm just not completely sure about this...

2. sjones900

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    The Xbox 360 is not a psp. You can mod your 360 anytime regardless of what update you have. The only thing that may prevent you from modding is your dvd drive model. The only two that are not able to be modded at this time are the lite-on 8xxx after a certain date (too lazy to look that up), and the 9xxx. And be warned if you have a lite-on 7xxx you're going to need a probe to mod it. And I hope you're not scared to take dvd drives apart. The first time I tried it caught fire.. :}

3. KrAzY3
    OP

Newcomer KrAzY3 Member

United States
    My Xbox was made in June. Which from what I understand puts it towards the end of moddable drives but it should be possible. That's something I'm honestly not looking forward to though so I think I'll go on Live and check all that stuff out now.. thanks a lot for the response!

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    @sjones900 all drives are now moddable again.

As for live bans: all present are believed to carry a far higher risk than they did this time a year ago.