Gaming Any updates to avoid if I want custom dvd firmware?

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a Arcade with a Jasper. I believe the firmware on the DVD drive can be customized (it should be 8. something) but it's a big pain and I'm not completely sure if I could be banned or what not so I was thinking about setting up everything for Live and playing old Xbox games (I have a 120 GB hard drive for it) and all of that before I try messing with the firmware. Is there any update that will mess up my chance to customize the firmware later or will anything I do on Live or what not leave the DVD drive the way it is?

Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm just not completely sure about this...

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Xbox 360 is not a psp. You can mod your 360 anytime regardless of what update you have. The only thing that may prevent you from modding is your dvd drive model. The only two that are not able to be modded at this time are the lite-on 8xxx after a certain date (too lazy to look that up), and the 9xxx. And be warned if you have a lite-on 7xxx you're going to need a probe to mod it. And I hope you're not scared to take dvd drives apart. The first time I tried it caught fire.. :}

KrAzY3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.rydas.com
XP
Country
United States
sjones900 said:
The Xbox 360 is not a psp. You can mod your 360 anytime regardless of what update you have. The only thing that may prevent you from modding is your dvd drive model. The only two that are not able to be modded at this time are the lite-on 8xxx after a certain date (too lazy to look that up), and the 9xxx. And be warned if you have a lite-on 7xxx you're going to need a probe to mod it. And I hope you're not scared to take dvd drives apart. The first time I tried it caught fire.. :}

My Xbox was made in June. Which from what I understand puts it towards the end of moddable drives but it should be possible. That's something I'm honestly not looking forward to though so I think I'll go on Live and check all that stuff out now.. thanks a lot for the response!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@sjones900 all drives are now moddable again.

As for live bans: all present are believed to carry a far higher risk than they did this time a year ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1