Any suggestions on why my friend's Wii U doesn't show up on TV when booting into Wii mode?

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I borrowed my friend's Wii U with the goal of installing custom firmware on there for her. I did so successfully, but then realized when you go to play a Wii or Gamecube game, it won't show up on the TV, only on the gamepad. This was confusing me because my friend said it would boot onto the TV normally when she would play the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Unfortunately I did not test this out -before- installing Tiramisu, so I have no idea of it's related.

There is a semi-solution. Before playing a Wii or Gamecube game, you can go into the Wii U resolution setting and manually put it to 480p. This will allow those games to show up on the TV. But I feel bad that she has to do this. Did I mess up? Has anyone heard of an issue like this? And the cherry on top is this issue did NOT happen when I tested the Wii U on this older 720p monitor.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you disable tiramisu on boot and test it again? This way you could see if it really is a problem with the cfw.
Anyways, you are not the first one having this issue. A permanent workaround would be using cbhc then.

Reactions: YamiJustin

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It should be giving you the choice between playing on gamepad (by pointing the wiimote at the gamepad and pressing a certain option), or playing on the TV (by pointing the wiimote at the sensor bar instead.)

Can you confirm what you're doing?

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pretty sure that is not the problem as another person also reported the same issue before. Especially because OP also tested the Wii U on another TV successfully.

Edit: Sorry, kinda messed a bit up. The other thread was also created by @YamiJustin.

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses. I just felt guilty about it despite my friend saying it doesn't matter and thanking me for making her system way more useful. I did indeed make a topic a while back, but was unable to determine the main issue. Like I said, the dumb thing worked on one of my monitors. But no longer does on her TV. I just can't see how Tiramisu could have done anything. And to answer your question even when it asks "Play on TV" or "Play on Gamepad", if I select "Play on TV", it still doesn't show up and then defaults back onto the gamepad. This happens if the Wii U's resolution is set to 1080p or automatic.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So you are saying that the Gamepad automatically shows the vWii screen even when TV mode is enabled? Or does the Gamepad turn off itself in first place?

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you are saying that the Gamepad automatically shows the vWii screen even when TV mode is enabled? Or does the Gamepad turn off itself in first place?
I select "TV" and after a few moments on blank screens, the Gamepad receives the vWii screen. If I instead was booting into a Wii game the game would begin playing on the Gamepad. It ignores the TV option.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That seems weird to me. Afaik the Gamepad turns itself off when TV mode is selected. That would either mean that the Wii U doesn't care which mode gets selected or that it recognizes a not working video signal and switches to the gamepad. At least this are my only ideas.

This still doesn't explain why this only happens on a specific tv. Best thing to do first would be to disable Autoboot and try again.

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That seems weird to me. Afaik the Gamepad turns itself off when TV mode is selected. That would either mean that the Wii U doesn't care which mode gets selected or that it recognizes a not working video signal and switches to the gamepad. At least this are my only ideas.

This still doesn't explain why this only happens on a specific tv. Best thing to do first would be to disable Autoboot and try again.

Thanks, my guess is that it realizes the signal isn't going through to the tv/monitor and then defaults to the gamepad. Again, only happens when I have the TV resolution setting set to 1080p or automatic. If I manually have it on 480p then there is no issue.

I probably won't be able to test this out. My friend insists it's not an issue so I probably won't insist on taking it back. I'd also feel nervous having to uninstall Tiramisu again and then reinstall.

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Enabling / Disabling Autoboot isn't that risky, no need to feel nervous about it. But if your friend doesn't care about vWii, then I wouldn't spend too much time into fixing it.

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it isn't PAL games. This issue happens trying to boot her regular NTSC Twilight Princess game while the system is set to 1080p. Since she isn't concerned I probably am going to drop it. But hoped there was some easy yet obscure fix. Thanks guys

Naendow

Brick-Master
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nö easy fix as long as we don't know what the issue is, sorry. :/
But yea, don't fix anything that will not be used too often in this case. ^^

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nö easy fix as long as we don't know what the issue is, sorry. :/
But yea, don't fix anything that will not be used too often in this case. ^^
Thanks. If it was MY Wii U I would risk it for the biscuit, for sure lol. She also has an issue where the Daily Log app crashes the game, apparently this is a semi common issue on these older systems. I've advised her not to install additional things on the internal memory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr