Hacking Any suggestions for Webman PS2 fan settings and/or safe way to check temps?

Alacres

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Rebug and everything installed and after noticing that my temps were idling kind of high for a slim (about mid 60s for both processors), I decided to clean it out and change the thermal paste. It was more or less successful although the temps didn't decrease as much as I hoped and now my PS3 does some weird graphical flickering when I first turn it on. Games still work fine though, in any case.

Anyway, it wasn't until after I changed the paste that I learned you could adjust the fan speed through webman. I've been messing with settings since last night and I'm trying to find a good balance of temp and fan degradation. I have the minimum speed set at 45%, which isn't very loud and keeps the idle temps at around 50/52%. I do wonder how quickly that will degrade the fan but I figure it's better to replace a fan for like $12 than to have to reball/reflow the thing soon.

That brings me to the PS2 settings: I hear that PS2 emulation taxes the PS3 more than anything (understandably) so I'm trying to figure out which speed I should go with for it. I actually have it set to 55% right now out of paranoia, but I wonder if that might be overkill? I would just monitor the temps and decide on the speed from that, but I'm not able to see the temps in PS2 mode and I'm kind of hesitant to try the modified version of PS2_netemu, given the potential risks. I read you could also check them from your PC, but I've been keeping this thing exclusively offline because of how ban crazy Sony has apparently been lately. Only other thing I can think of is getting one of those infrared temperature guns and aiming it at the PS3's vents.

TLDR -- Just trying to keep my PS3 cool enough, especially during PS2 gaming, and hoping for suggestions on fan settings and ways to safely check temperatures while playing a PS2 game.

Thanks in advance :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Since you must be using software emulation (having a slim), newest CFWs have a prepatched impose (home) menu with temperature display in PS2 mode... there are no risks in replacing the PS2-mode kernel (especially on a NOR console, where dev_flash is actually HDD)

Else, there's the good old "stick a digital thermometer's sensor on the heatsink" ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."