Any standalone emulator that supports resizable windows and facilitates plain text configuration?

Deleted member 569451

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I use a tiling wayland compositor called sway, so I really want an emulator to resize automatically to window tiles that change sizes and to resize to sway's fullscreen window in fullscreen mode.

I also want an emulator to facilitate plain text configuration. In my experiences, many emulators are designed for GUI configuration. While they have text config files, they are designed to be configured in GUI. They don't document text config settings, and they do not separate default options and options overridden by users into different text files. With every option in the same files, I can't differentiate my own settings from default settings.

There are many bad things about retroarch, including centralization of power, but it does two things right.
  • Retroarch resizes automatically to sway fullscreen window and sway window tiles through XWayland which is X server on wayland.
  • Retroarch documents all its config options in /etc/retroarch.cfg and allows me to override default config options in ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg
    • By setting config_save_on_exit = "false" in ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg, I can gain tight control over configuration.
I tried standalone emulators for nintendo entertainment system.
  • nestopia doesn't offer resizable windows that automatically fit sway window tiles. It also doesn't document text config options and doesn't let me record only the options that differ from defaults in plain text files.
  • higan doesn't want users to configure higan in plain text files.
  • puNES quits immeidately due to OpenGL errors that I can't debug. puNES doesn't give me any detailed information on the error. I can't fix it.
  • fceux technically offers resizable windows but doesn't document text config options and doesn't separate default options and my settings into different text files.
I also want to emulate
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  • CP System 1 & CP System 2
  • Irem M-92
  • Sega Saturn
  • Dreamcast
Replacing retroarch cores with standalone emulators is going to be difficult due to my preference for resizable windows and plain text configuration.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [louder cricket sounds]