Any Router for NDS Wifi games? (me noob)

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by lars, Oct 26, 2006.

Oct 26, 2006
  1. lars
    OP

Newcomer lars Member

Zimbabwe
    Hello there!

I am new to networks n stuff. I just got a NDS and want to play WiFi games.

I have DSL flatrate on my computer. No network.

Can I buy any Router with wireless support to use my NDS with? I want to spend about 50 $/€

(I cant get any from these recommended ones: http://www.nintendowifi.de/customersupport...rtedRouters.do)

Which are easy to configure?

Where is a network installation guide for noobs?

2. sylver78

Newcomer sylver78 Advanced Member

France
    Well you can get some buffalo tech routers and wifi card ! It provides a special auto configuration button called AOSS that allow you to securely (it can mix WPA & WEP devices) connect all your AOSS compatible devices (the NDS is compatible with AOSS) with 0 configuration !

3. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Yes, Buffalo was the ones who made the little Nintendo Wi-Fi USB adapter so they should be pretty much guaranteed to work.

I can also recommend the Netgear DG834G because it works and really easy to configure. Just plug it in, enter your ISP login details and you're away! There's also a wizard to guide you through setting up the necessary Wi-Fi securities.

http://xcomp.gamebrink.com/?p=283

Be sure to know what you're after, though. There are wireless routers that don't come with a built-in DSL modem which means you'll either have to plug in a separate modem into it or, have to leave your PC on.

4. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I seconded the Netgear DG834G. One of the main reason I got a wireless router modem was because my sister hogs the main PC and I got a hold of a laptop with wireless on it. It also works perfectly with the DS wifi. The netgear comes with a CD that you just pop in and follow the instructions. Although I'm using ADSL, I don't know if it's the same as DSL.

5. lars
    OP

Newcomer lars Member

Zimbabwe
    I alreay own 2 dsl modems. So i dont need a build in one.

If I buy a router without a modem, I only have to pay half the price...

But what is the difference between this two:

a) Netgear WG602GR Wireless-G Access-Point - 59,00 bucks [​IMG]
    b) Netgear WGR614GR Wireless-G DSL/Cable-Router - 49,00 bucks [​IMG]

the mentioned

c) Netgear DG834GBGR Wireless-G ADSL2+ Modem-Router 54MBit is 89,00 [​IMG]

6. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    I have a D-Link DI-524 that was free after rebates from CompUSA. I picked it up just for using with my DS now, and Wii later. Works like a champ so far.

You can't import any of the supported routers? Or is it a cost issue?

7. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, good... As long as they're external USB modems then you should be fine buying a router with no DSL modem built-in.

OK, I'm just reading these off the German Amazon site. I don't know German but I can make out the specs...

WG602GR only has one LAN port (wired networking), no built-in firewall, no port for an external modem. So if you get this you need both your PC and router on when connecting to Nintendo's Wi-Fi Network.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/WirelessAc...ints/WG602.aspx

WGR614GR has 4 LAN ports, built-in firewall. and a port for an external modem. Your modem will have to have a network port on it to it connect it to the router.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routersand...ers/WGR614.aspx

8. Antihero2007

Member Antihero2007 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Ok so Netgear DG834G works well, I have an Netgear DG834N does the N make any difference? My router hasn't been setup yet and may not be for a few days.

9. Noobix

Member Noobix GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Damn I went and got a Belkin ages ago, thinking any wifi router would do. Spent ages playing with configuration settings before I checked with the nintendo site and found out my Belkin isn't compatible!!!

Still got it from PCWorld and still have the box (got it last september though)and receipt so will try and swap it for the supporting belkin model. [​IMG]

Router list