Hacking Any risks to using r4 with ds lite?

Axel_Foley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was wondering if there are any risks involved in using a r4 with your ds lite. Such as viruses etc, which could possibly lead to it been bricked.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well with the wrong R4 Clone you do run the risk of blowing a fuse, but that's about all I know and that normally happens with flashcard clones/fakes
Still if you get an R4 like this one, you should be just fine

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There have been one or two homebrew viruses that can basically brick the DS lite in the past, but they're extraordinarily rare and nobody has distributed it.

There's no risk in using an R4DS on your DS Lite, the only thing that you need to look out for is that you don't buy a fake R4DS.
Any R4DS that claims SDHC or DSi support is fake, and anything else silly like Ultra, King, etc.
They don't pose any threat to your DS Lite, but they have crappy software support and are generally unreliable.
If you get an original R4DS like this one at shoptemp, and install Wood R4, it'll play mostly every game just fine.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
RupeeClock said:
There have been one or two homebrew viruses that can basically brick the DS lite in the past, but they're extraordinarily rare and nobody has distributed it.

There's no risk in using an R4DS on your DS Lite, the only thing that you need to look out for is that you don't buy a fake R4DS.
Any R4DS that claims SDHC or DSi support is fake, and anything else silly like Ultra, King, etc.
They don't pose any threat to your DS Lite, but they have crappy software support and are generally unreliable.
If you get an original R4DS like this one at shoptemp, and install Wood R4, it'll play mostly every game just fine.
Well there are some cards that have been known to blow fuses, like Fake DSTT or N5 to look out for

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If it's an R4i, R4 Advance, R4 Upgrade etc you run the risk that people will think why on earth didn't you buy a better flashcart. People will also be able to point and you and say, N000000b.

If you get an R4 get one from ShopTemp as it will run Wood, read the Wood guide in my signature. Remember they only use MicroSD cards upto 2GB. Otherwise consider the Acekard 2, EZ-Flash Vi or DSTWO in order of how much money you have.

You won't get a virus, and it won't harm your DS.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
just be careful with what games you download, I remember there was a DQIX rom that bricked your ds, it was right before DQIX came out also.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the only risk you may encounter is to your sanity while fumbling through various firmwares trying to get the latest games working on an R4. There are so many clones and knock-offs calling themselves R4 that it's not even funny anymore. Very few of them have active firmware support by the people who made them, so you are reliant on the good graces of hackers to provide you with a firmware that fixes games. That just has to be more frustrating than it's worth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    did it happen?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Wasn't it Scarlet and Violet?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Dunno, I stay in the EoF.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    The craze must've had died down by then.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into...