Question Any risk if I play homebrew/emulators on my Switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by KnifeCat, Oct 11, 2019.

1. KnifeCat
    OP

KnifeCat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2018
    Canada
    Hi,
    So as I'm posting this (10th October 2019), my Switch firmware is the latest, 9.0.1
    I was wondering: if I only play homebrew/emulators on my Switch, are there any potential risks? How do I do it, also?
    Important to know:
    I DO NOT WANT and AM NOT LOOKING to install any CFW or permanent firmware/exploit, just something like that Wii U web exploit, or the henKAKU exploit on the Vita. Just some homebrew launcher that I can easily cancel off by a reboot.
    Important to know too: I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY ANY PIRATED SWITCH GAMES. Not yet.

So yeah, are there any user or console ban/console brick/warranty void risks if I do so?
    Thanks!

2. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 2, 2016
    Panama
    Risk of ban? Yes. There is and you probably would get banned.

Risk of brick? Not so much, unless you run some shady stuff, but if you use the regular stuff, i would say you are good.

Also, how can you launch homebrew apps/emulators without installing CFW? Im pretty sure you have to on 9.0.1 but yeah, after a reboot it would be "off".

dxxshore likes this.
  3. CKkio23

CKkio23 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2018
    United States
    You can create an EMUMMC and play homebrew. Just make sure you have no wifi connection enabled or clear this as making one is an exact copy of your system.
    Then just play offline and DO NOT CONNECT INTERNET.

When play legit power off and remove sd card with emummc.

4. KnifeCat
    OP

KnifeCat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2018
    Canada
    I need a separate SD card?
    achoo...

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    There have been no confirmed bans of people who only use homebrew. Pretty much everybody who only uses homebrew and does nothing naughty is still unbanned.

Nintendo seem to ban for the following:

1) installing NSPs - this includes both piracy and homebrew NSPs
    2) cheating online

Nobody can second guess Nintendo and say you will never, ever get banned. However, all qualified and verified evidence suggests that if you use a telemetry-disabling CFW like Atmosphere/Kosmos and load homebrew by holding R on any title, you will not get banned.

6. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    If you want to be a little more paranoid, you can also run Android or Linux, and have access to all the same emulators plus several more, as well as their own library of games. These run entirely off their own SD card and don't interact with Nintendo servers at all, so there's no risk of ban. They do have drawbacks and some other finicky behavior, but it also opens up many apps that aren't available for Switch's native OS.

7. KnifeCat
    OP

KnifeCat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2018
    Canada
    Yes.... but no. I'm picky: I just want them on the Switch homebrew, no passthrough to an OS, just on the plain switch.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted