Any reputable parts dealer for lens replacement?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by About7fish, Jul 29, 2014.

1. About7fish
    OP

About7fish Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2012
    United States
    My 3DS, like many others, has its top screen scratched by its bottom screen. It seems to only be what I believe to be the parallax barrier that's damaged though. I was looking at a certain one on ebay that will only cost me like, 5 bucks total, but I don't know if it's a quality part or indeed even a job for an end user. I'll put the link below, for some reason I can't use the link function in the posting tools themselves. And if this part isn't one I should be using, where can I find one besides fighting for something far too expensive for its condition on ebay? Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OE...g_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item416fc82cac

2. Sciduck

Sciduck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2014
    Well I ordered a bunch of 3DS XL buttons a while back with the same seller with shipment to the UK, no problems here. The hardest part for me was putting an awkward ribbon cable back into its slot.

3. rip-it-up

rip-it-up GBAtemp Regular

Oct 19, 2009
    manchester
    The lens of that link is what I use. But I paid $35 for 20pcs. They are fine, 0.5mm smaller I'd guess and the lens dosent have that same slippy feeling if you run your finger across it like the original one did but the are nice and clear and free from defects.
    Ive had more expensive ones in the past and they went back to china as the double sided tape had cured to the plastic protection film making it impossible to remove. And the ones I did manage to remove Glue from the tape appeared in the screen and camera area.

4. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    I buy fromgamepartsstore10 all the time. That seller is fantastic. I don't know where they get their parts, but everything I've bought from them have been original Nintendo products in excellent condition. I've bought that display lens from him just once, since I usually have spares, but it looked original to me. If not, it's an extremely good third-party production. It had very, very few signs of use at all.

It's a very easy thing to replace, by the way. Just use a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive and slowly pry it off. Avoid the temptation to use a heat gun though, since that could be too hot and melt the plastic (yes, I did this once). If using a prying tool be careful not to damage the speakers.