Any recommended earphones?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by tech3475, May 30, 2017.

1. tech3475
    OP

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    My Sennheiser (CX300?) earphones broke last night and I'm in need of replacements.

Are there any which can be recommend as an alternative with decent quality (but not bass heavy)? Because direct replacements will cost around £32 (I paid £10 on offer) and I only like to spend up to £20.

In the past I've used Sony earphones and while they had decent quality, they had hit or miss reliability.

Thank you.

2. NintendU_the_great

NintendU_the_great OFFICIAL GBATEMP TROLLER

Banned
    Oct 4, 2015
    India
    in yer toilet!
    Apple ones. they are pretty good

3. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    Bose in-ear headphones are the best I've used. Very comfortable (to quote a condom commercial, "feels like nothing's there"), great sound, and reliable. They also have volume and pause/play buttons built in to the headphone wire. Be prepared to pay ~$100 for them.

4. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Get the Apple MD827ZM/A, they are quite acceptable (but a little bass heavy though)
    They usually go for 10-12€ on eBay.

PS: They are reliable, they have already survived many accidental laundries without problem.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, May 30, 2017
  5. enarky

enarky owls?

Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    I'd recommend either Xiaomi Piston v4 or KZ ZS3. I use both, but dislike the ZS3's clumsiness a bit. If you google for headphone reviews these both are the absolute best in the lower price range category and compete with headphones triple their price.

EDIT: If you want to spend a bit more the 1more E1001 is pretty good, unfortunately mine broke within the first month, so YMMV.

Last edited by enarky, May 30, 2017
    rileysrjay and tech3475 like this.
  6. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    Skullcandy Ink'd are pretty decent (they surpass my Sony's), cost around $10 USD

uiaad and tech3475 like this.
  7. RoseyDreamy

RoseyDreamy TheKawaiiNeko

Mar 25, 2017
    England
    Can't vouch for this myself because never used them but Apple products generally have very good build quality so they might be a good choice.

8. tech3475
    OP

Jun 12, 2009
    Way over budget though.

Coincidentally, last week I had someone at work want to return a set because of an intermittent fault.

Got a pair with a phone once, I would honestly recommend looking at others if you're using them because their quality was night and day worse difference between my Sony or Senheisers.

Thanks I'll look into those.

9. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    The ones that last the longest so far, are the apple ones

10. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    TBH I normally use Sennheiser HDR180 or HD598 when I am home.
    When I am out I normally use either some Marshall Mid Bluetooth (really convenient) or some Bose QC25 (good noise cancel), but neither sound as good as the Sennheiser.
    Nevertheless, for the price I consider the Apple model I talked about quite good, and I sometimes use it together with my Switch or 3DS because they are very small and portable. The sound quality is below all the others I use but it is acceptable IMHO.

PS: By quite acceptable I mean better than some JBL and Sennheiser earpods I used in the past... I don't remember exact models, but the Sennheiser had a 40 somewhere.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, May 30, 2017
  11. kehkou

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    If you go with the Skullcandy, make sure they are "Ink'd 2" model, they are better than the originals (this is the ones I was talking about but forgot to mention the "2").

tech3475 likes this.
  12. HamBone41801

HamBone41801 K35

Jan 16, 2017
    United States
    iRiver earbuds are by far my favorite headphones/earbuds of all time.

tech3475 likes this.
  13. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    No they aren't, at all.
    Talking from experience.
    They might be durable, but for music its absolute shit.

For the OP:

Get JBL ones, I got a pair for 20 bucks and the bass almost blew my head off, couldn't even have the volume at max.
    That is, if you prefer enjoying music rather than just listening to it.

Last edited by Yepi69, May 30, 2017
    tech3475 likes this.
  14. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    For the money, yeah those aren't bad. Or JVC Gumy's if they still make them. You're looking at very low-end with that price limit, OP. I use the ATH-IM02 and highly recommend it, but it costs a bit more than the ceiling you quoted.

tech3475 likes this.
  15. kehkou

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    Ah yes, I forgot about the Gumy's. The Gumy+ are about as good as the Ink'd 2. I've got lucky once and even found a family dollar $5 metal pair that compared with my Sony's. Most dollar store headphones are crap though...

Last edited by kehkou, May 30, 2017
    tech3475 likes this.
  16. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Is it to use at home? Get Sennheiser HD 201 or for earphones, Samsung (£2.45) or Apple (£6.80) ones should do the job.

* Amazon UK prices

17. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I agree, but people don't seem to take the Apple earpods seriously because of... bias.
    I had some strong prejudice also, until I tested the MD827ZM/A, and I am positive that they are the best earpods in that price range... But no sugarcoating, being the best don't make them good, just acceptable... There are no good earpods in that price range.

PS: And for serious acceptable quality, drop more money, I don't know, get some Sennheiser Momentum if you want something closed that you can take out...

18. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    My pair of Apple earpods have gone through the laundry about 4 times and still haven't broken. They're also the only earbuds that fit in my ears.

19. tech3475
    OP

Jun 12, 2009
    The problem I have is that their sound quality is noticeably inferior to similarly priced alternatives Ive used, even if they have lower durability. This includes the model you recommend (got one with an iphone).

Im weary about dropping more money partially because Ive heard more epensive ones in the past (e.g. A Bose set) but the quality didnt seem to justify the price and the risk of them breaking anyway (the ones Ive seen are not like my QC25s or HD598s which have a replaceable cord).

20. Saint_Kaiser

Saint_Kaiser Banned

Banned
    Jun 1, 2017
    Chad
    It's all personal preference, I like headphones better. Skullcandy I find to be a reliable brand, I've been using the same Bluetooth headphones for 4 years straight and they are good as new. Use them everyday.