Any recommended brick and mortar (i.e. physical) stores in HK?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by serrin, Aug 25, 2008.

1. serrin
    OP

Newcomer serrin Member

Australia
    I've been planning to buy a DS + Flash card for a while now since stealing borrowing my sister's all the time is not enough. I'm heading to Hong Kong and Japan at the end of the year and planned on getting one from HK on the way back, but while chatting with my cousin the other day he mentioned that he couldn't get a flash card from HK because they were 'illegal' and that there's been a crack-down. I find this rather dubious as I got my sister her R4 back in December 07from the Golden Arcade shopping centre.
    I was wondering, has there been some sort of recent crack-down on DS Flash cards in Hong Kong or does my cousin not know where to go to get these sort of things? On the subject of where to go, any other recommended shopping centres in Hong Kong? I'm not interested in one off stores in the middle of nowhere but rather whole shopping arcades dedicated to electronics. Surely there has to be more than the Golden Arcade? Mong Kok and Sum Sui Po come recommended but those are whole suburbs; anybody know of any specific shopping centres/arcades which are worth visiting? Also if you're feeling particularly nice, directions on how to get there from MRT (or is it called MTR?)/bus stations would be awesome, but I can find my way around Hong Kong.
    Thanks for reading.

2. seedvt

Member seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I haven't been to Hong Kong since late 2006, when I bought an R4 from a game store in Mong Kok.

I'm not sure if that store is still around, but the guys there were friendly, and I also got my modded Wii there.

3. johnchan

Newcomer johnchan Advanced Member

Yes there has been a crack down in HK due to a recent amendment to copyright laws, so flash cards are much harder to find now. Previously almost every shop in Golden Arcade would have them on display - unfortunately those days are no more. You can still get flash cards from some shops in Golden Arcade but you'll need to ask the shop clerk specifically as they are not on display. I can't recommend any specific shop as I haven't purchased any flash cards since the crack down, but you can surely pick something up somewhere in Golden Arcade if you ask around.

4. serrin
    OP

Newcomer serrin Member

Australia
    Thanks johnchan. Did this amendment also affect mod chips (e.g. for the Wii) as well?