Any recommendations on a good laptop for gaming?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by smileyhead, Aug 20, 2018.

1. smileyhead
    OP

smileyhead Yes.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Up until now I've had an ASUS X555L, but it died yesterday. Do you have any recommendations for a new laptop?
    • Resolution is not a problem (although it'd be nice if it wasn't less than 720p), since I'll be using a dual monitor setup and the built-in one will be the secondary.
    • It should run modern games well (stable 60 fps on normal or high settings). My old one couldn't even run Overwatch with the absolute minimum settings at a stable 30.
    • I would appreciate if the battery would be removable and if the laptop would run well without it. I'll be using it mainly as a desktop, but I want to take it with me if I want. My old laptop died because it couldn't handle running without a battery and the regulator got killed.
    • Price shouldn't be more than €750-800. I know that's probably a stretch, but I can't afford anything more right now and I need a new computer asap.

2. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N I'm better than you I think

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    I use a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming laptop. Here are the specs:
    • Intel i5-7300HQ @ 3.5GHz
    • 8 GB of DDR4 RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile / Intel Integrated Graphics
    • 1920x1080 IPS Display
    • 1 TB Hybrid Hard Drive
    I've heard from others that the color retention isn't all that great, however, I haven't seemed to have noticed. The GPU is serviceable, and it should probably be enough to run most modern games. It cost $800 when I got it, however, there are also models that ship with an SSD and 1050 Ti if you're willing to pay a little extra.

I got the laptop about a year ago, however and it looks like Dell's released this G series to replace the Inspiron Gaming line. Going over the specs, though, they're more or less the same, just with updated CPUs and a slight bump in RAM speed.

If you can stomach Linus, here's an LTT review that covers the G3 that you may find somewhat useful.

I also know a friend who uses an Acer Nitro IIRC, however, he had heating problems with it, and had to buy a cooling pad for the laptop. Truth be told, though, he did have the thing in high-performance mode the entire time, and changing the settings fixed the issue. Looking at the price of the Acer Nitro 5, it may also be a viable option. Here's a review on PCMag if you're interested.

smileyhead and Seriel like this.
  3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I’ll probably fish up some proper suggestions tomorrow when it’s not 2am, but until then... I’ll be that guy.

For good gaming, get a desktop. For portability and casual gaming, get a laptop and pay double for it.

4. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    I don't have anything to add, but want to read the advice, as the laptop I had just bought had to be returned almost immediately... :(
    Complained of a fan error on boot, pre-os loading. Only advice online was "clean the dust out of the vents". What dust, this was brand new, just turned on.... Oh well, I don't think I liked it anyway, I didn't realize it didn't even have an optical drive...

5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I don’t know of any modern laptop that includes an optical drive. USB Blu-ray drives are so cheap now that there’s no point wasting valuable space with an optical drive.

6. rustinrj

rustinrj Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2018
    United States
    Check out the MSI GV62 8RD also. It features Intel Core i5-8300H quad core processor, 8GB RAM and 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GPU.