Any reason to use Configurable USB Loader over USB Loader GX?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by jmckutchin, Jan 24, 2010.

1. jmckutchin
    OP

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've been using USB Loader GX since I first softmodded my console, and I've been fairly happy with it. However, I was sorta curious as to whether there's any benefit to using Configurable USB Loader instead. Is more stable/prettier/easier to use? Obviously it can have tons of themes, but is there any other benefit? Thanks!

2. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    -Most stable Loader that exists.

You don't need more to know. CFG-Loader stands for stability (not realy for a nice Design, or useless Features). USBLoader GX is buggy, and has a shitload of features you'll probably never will use. WiiFlow is awesome in the design, nearly as stable as CFG-Loader, but right now, it's missing some features.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Its all about personal preference

Some people (including Blue-K) like Config loader, others like GX
    I use both + Wiiflow myself [​IMG]

4. nikeymikey

Member nikeymikey Waiting for SALT to rescue the Wii U Scene!!

United Kingdom
    I'm with Blue-K on this, CFG all the way, used to be a GX user but its becoming bloated with features that i do never use. They seem to be going for a complete system menu replacement, which, if they do get there and iron out all the bugs then i'll gladly give it another go.

Besides oggzee and co always seem to be first with the new features or fixes.

5. Sabin_Figaro

Member Sabin_Figaro GBAtemp Regular

Colombia
    the cfg betas are way more stable than the gx quick betas

6. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    gx was my sole loader until it suddenly stopped seeing my hard drive a few months back - with no immediate hope in sight, i moved to cfg, and have had zero issues.

7. Dr. Clipper

Member Dr. Clipper GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    There's also the point that Cfg can force 480p in games that don't even support it from disc like Madworld, Kororinpa and Metroid Prime Trilogy (OK, MPT does support it on disc, but loading via alt .dol puts you in 480i without the fix). I believe the GX guys never got that feature working.

8. harmor

Member harmor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    USB Loader GX was my loader until it stopped recognizing my hard drive too.
    I moved onto CFG and I, as well, haven't had any issues.

9. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    Its this same question I've always asked myself. Hmm, seems like I should try CFG actually since you all said that GX doesn't recognize your HD but since you switched to CFG, it started reading again. Thing is with my HD, when I boot it in GX, it reads it but then it shows some really messed up numbers like it says my HD is partitioned in four different parts(which it isn't) and each partitioned part has a shit load of GB. Hmm, I'll try CFG right now actually.

10. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    i'm not entirely sure wherein the difference lies, as i was using the same 222 or 249 with each loader, but any and all hd-related hassles i was having with gx simply went away with cfg.

so far, no reason to go back, although i will always cherish my times with gx....ahh fuck, i promised myself i wouldnt cry!

11. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    I had a problem formatting my HDD to WBFS in GX.
    In CFG, it worked first try! [​IMG]

12. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Well the most stable (best?) USB Loader is without a doubt uLoader. The loader itself and its cIOS are from the same awesome coder Hermes. But uLoader has a weird GUI.

13. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    We're talking about CFG and GX here. Not uLoader.

14. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    Just shut up Hatsu. I thought you did add me to your ignore list. Im begging you to do so.

15. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Can you kids please stop behaving like even smaller kids?

16. ragde

Newcomer ragde Advanced Member

United States
    I like both. Different in aspect but good looking. I love the update system both have. I use both the same I think. However, it took me a while to get the forwader to work on CFG but I did it (something weird on my side), and GX worked beautifully right away. Than the other day GX started to give me problems and had to erase everything from my SD to reinstall fresh. So you decide and try both. Or even better try them all!!

17. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    GX never worked for me. No matter how i partitioned the 600gig drive, no matter the size, after the first WBFS format, it would always tell me i had 299gigs available, and no game would install properly.

I tried out Config, and BAM, it worked flawlessly.

Apparently others have the same experience lol.

18. jmckutchin
    OP

Member jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So far I like a lot of things about Config, but I also miss a few things that GX has, like a unified theme. Actually, that's pretty much the main thing. There's a few features here and there as well, but they're not deal breakers. I might go back to GX in a few months to see if they have all those little bugs and weird glitches worked out, but I'm pretty happy with Config for now.

Does it bug anyone else that GX releases a new revision for every single commit? I know they're supposed to be betas now, but I was stuck on rev845 or something with no stable release. It's just an odd release scheme.

19. usptactical

Member usptactical GBAtemp Fan

United States
    GX probably has their build machine set up to make a new build on code delivery. I dunno if there's a way for them to recommend code baselines or not, so it's really up to the user to decide if they want to try out a bleeding-edge version. When it comes down to it, it really doesn't make any sense to NOT try out every loader out there - they're FREE after all. [​IMG]

As far as the OP's question goes I suppose it really comes down to personal preference. If you like the Wii's system menu layout and look and feel then use GX. If you don't then use cfg (or WiiFlow or Coverfloader or uLoader or neoGamma or Wanin's 1.5 or Ultimate or whatever).

20. r-win

Member r-win GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Yup, the build machine compiles a new revision with every single commit. It makes it easy for us to let people test out new features or bug fixed. You should, however, be aware that that stuff is bleeding edge.
    After enough positive reports, a compiled version can be uploaded to our update server, after which we call that a new version.