any reason to update my wii to 4.3?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sangweb, Feb 8, 2011.

Feb 8, 2011
  1. sangweb
    OP

Newcomer sangweb Member

United States
    Hi All,
    Been out of the game for a while, my wii is currently 3.2U and so far I haven't found a games that does not work on USB loader. Is there any reason I should upgrade my wii? Any advantage going to the latest version? TIA.

2. Mondegreen

Newcomer Mondegreen Advanced Member

Australia
    SDHC support.

3. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    Shop Channel?

4. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    you can still use shop channel on 3.2

5. troy512

Newcomer troy512 Advanced Member

United States
    no, usb loader is dependent on loader and cIOS, has nothing to do with system menu

6. jskyboo

Member jskyboo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Only thing really new is the channels, SD card menu and SDHC as has been said. But if you wanted all that you really only need 4.1 as 4.2 and 4.3 didn't really add anything and only removed certain old homebrew. However if you have updated to the latest HBC before installing the new system menu it is safe to use 4.3. If you want to update your IOSs, channels and system menu you could use Wii Mod. It has many protections in it to warn you if you try to delete an IOS you need or dont have one you need when you install a system menu.

There really is no reason to stay on 3.2 anymore. And if you have 3.2 still you should see if you can install bootmii to boot2. And if you can make a backup NOW.

7. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    No, not really. The latest version that isn't just anti-homebrew is version 4.1. As it has already already been mentioned, 4.0 introduced SDHC support and a fancy SD card menu that allows one to launch channels off the SD card in order to save space on the Wii. Other than these two things, there is no reason to update from 3.2.

All that really matters is that you have the latest version of each IOS you use, and since you seem to strictly use USB loading, your cIOS is the only thing that truly matters. You can follow this guide to update each of your IOS files and add any you might not have (IOS58, for example). The only functionality you will gain, however, is being able to run the latest retail disc games from your disc channel and being able to use the shop channel. This guide also updates your system menu to 4.2, the latest version that still works with bannerbomb. If you do not wish to update your system menu to 4.2 but you would still like to update your IOS files and shop channel, just delete System Menu-NUS-v481.wad from the wad folder before you put your SD card in the Wii.

Updating to 4.3 the normal way with a network connection on your Wii is a viable alternative as long as you are using version 1.0.7 or 1.0.8 of the Homebrew Channel. However, you will most likely need to reinstall any cIOS you use after the update.

8. sangweb
    OP

Newcomer sangweb Member

United States
    Thank-you all for the feedback, honestly I don't care about shop or news channel or even online games, my main concern is game compatibility. Looks like I just stay put on 3.2 for now unless necessary. I do have all my nan and key backed up and installed bootmii.

9. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    if you really want a 4.3 system menu and all the new official ioses you can try sneek and keep your 3.2 sytem menu

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I know it seems to have run the course but

SDHC was added in hacks long before Nintendo got it in gear.

Some fixes for a game or two (Wii sports resort if memory serves). I believe there is a hack workaround if this bothers you.

Some might claim Wiiware from SD- ignoring recent (or indeed not so recent) homebrew developments with virtual NAND and presumably the unpacking type hacks it was only ever a shuffle things from SD to NAND arrangement which homebrew could always do or better with something like wad manager.

The only advantage is most new menu hacks are built for it but 3.2 was the base for most of the previous hacks and beyond region free and quick boot is there much else that is necessary?

To that end my opinion is if you have a nicely hacked 3.2 system then stick with it as there is

11. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    System Menu 4.1 also fixes a problem related to the Wii MotionPlus video playback in certain games like Wii Sport Resort.

-[]D