Hacking Any reason to stay on 4.1 or just update all the way?

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Switch just came in today and I was hoping for 3.0, but unfortunately it's on 4.1. I know things will be easier on lower firmwares, but I see everyone swearing by 3.0. So is there really a difference between 4.1 and the latest?

ssmatt

Trophies
XP
Country
Not really. Either way you need to use a jig.

The only advantage is the might be some exploit discovered that isn't on 5.x down the line, but it depends if you want to lose access to the eshop while you wait for who knows how long for that to happen (or not)

Personally I would suggest to update, bit it's up to you really.

morrison22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being I am on a 2nd Switch not tied to an acct (also never connected online) and on fw 4.1.0, I think it’s best to keep it offline and forfeit the exFAT update. I’ll have to use a fat32 sd card which creates an issue of requiring cut XCI files for files of 4GB. The exFAT hack that is available, while a solution, seems tricky and may be detectable (ban) should I ever update the firmware down the line.

Another issue of not updating fw is games requiring a higher fw will not work. No solution for this yet. Spoofing fw, emunand, etc.

So this is where I need to decide if fw 4.1.0 is worth retaining or not. Updating gives natural exFAT support (no ban) and compatibility with future games, but forfeits lower firmware (which I’m not even sure is a big deal anymore.)

My 1st Switch is on current firmware and used as intended by Nintendo.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning more towards updating at this point. About the jig however, I can't actually do anything with it yet..right? Everything I see says that HBL only works on 3.0 and below. So I actually can't do anything homebrew related yet, right? Not until Atmosphere? Just want to make sure of my options.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning more towards updating at this point. About the jig however, I can't actually do anything with it yet..right? Everything I see says that HBL only works on 3.0 and below. So I actually can't do anything homebrew related yet, right? Not until Atmosphere? Just want to make sure of my options.
You can currently use a jig to boot into Hekate and load homebrew on any software version.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can currently use a jig to boot into Hekate and load homebrew on any software version.
Oh, ok. Someone should probably update the guide/FAQ then haha. It says no support for above 3.0, block updates and wait for atmosphere. Well if it works, then that's fine with me. Thanks for the info.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Homebrew exists for all firmware.

Every switch is at the same level at the moment. If you are frightened of using a jig to cold boot, or if you are frightened of soldering a chip in them don't update. But not we have trinkets, sx pro, fusee framboise for pi and nx loader. Many joycon mods available if you don't want to buy a jig. I was originally on 3.0.2. but I updated. No big deal. autoRCM is the way to go

Reactions: ByteBite

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, ok. Someone should probably update the guide/FAQ then haha. It says no support for above 3.0, block updates and wait for atmosphere. Well if it works, then that's fine with me. Thanks for the info.
I've noticed there are non-sticky tutorials in that subforum that are more up-to-date (which is kind of sad when you think about it). Also, sleep mode support has not been fully implemented for 3.x

D

Deleted-442439

I've noticed there are non-sticky tutorials in that subforum that are more up-to-date (which is kind of sad when you think about it). Also, sleep mode support has not been fully implemented for 3.x

Will update the sticky guide today. As for the switch guides website: It will not be updated until Atmosphere is released.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Red1Reaper

Asperger Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can get Coldboot alike(not coldboot but for end user it does not matter has the same effect) solution whit hardmod: modchip+autorcm= push power boots cfw automatically.
Rebug team is creating a modchip and the expected price is 10-15$

D

Deleted User

Well i would stay on 4.1.0 if you are on that just for the possibility of warmboot up to this firmware which means you can boot into the cfw after booting into horizon os.
As far as i can tell that means: CFW without using a Jig everytime you reboot and no other devices for transferring payloads at all.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Rule of thumb: the lower the firmware the better.

But if you want something that needs you to update to the latest firmware (i.e DLC, Online capability, etc.) then update. Latest firmware will still get Atmosphere. And that coldboot and softmod people are talking about don't expect it to come in the near future.

DEMONDICE

K-K-Kureiji
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok guys, thanks for the info. I guess I'll stay for now. There aren't any games out currently that I want and can't play. I'd like to go online, but if Atmosphere is as close as some seem to think, I can hold out. I went and ordered a jig for a few bucks. I'll at least be able to do some save editing and such for now it seems, which is enough for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1