Hacking Any reason to stay on 3.0

Runehasa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3.0 switch gathering dust as I wait for Atmosphere (etc). Now with most methods out there not caring what firmware you are on is there any legitimate reason to stay on 3.0? (Potential Permanent hack/emunand/etc) Dont want to shut the door by upgrading

Dudamax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators and Piracy work on 5.1 (Latest). You will just need to use a hardmod to get homebrew working so technically your not losing by upgrading. Youll finally get eshop access to get donor titles if you want piracy

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3.0 switch gathering dust as I wait for Atmosphere (etc). Now with most methods out there not caring what firmware you are on is there any legitimate reason to stay on 3.0? (Potential Permanent hack/emunand/etc) Dont want to shut the door by upgrading
1. Potential coldboot, when and if it's ever released.
2. Softmod only exploit(if memory serves me right).

Reactions: clank and Lacius

Runehasa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all for the update. So essentially no real reason to stay on 3.0 if a downgrade is possible after following that method of upgrading

Oh and not going to lie or sugarcoat. Piracy is my ultimate goal. (Have emulators on about 5 other systems now)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I believe so. If you want to update without burning fuses use this guide:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

F*** Me is that one hell of a daunting process.

Last edited by Runehasa,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all for the update. So essentially no real reason to stay on 3.0 if a downgrade is possible after following that method of upgrading

Oh and not going to lie or sugarcoat. Piracy is my ultimate goal. (Have emulators on about 5 other systems now)

It's really not that bad, and it's a very easy-to-follow tutorial. What should be noted is that you must install AutoRCM during the upgrade process if you don't want to burn any efuses. That means your Switch will be tethered to a computer each time you coldboot. This issue is partially mitigated by leaving the system in sleep mode rather than powering it off.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think you should update without burning fuses, this way you can always go back like nothing ever happened. If you update and downgrade later you'll have burned fuses and an updated cartridge FW.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It's really not that bad, and it's a very easy-to-follow tutorial. What should be noted is that you must install AutoRCM during the upgrade process if you don't want to burn any efuses. That means your Switch will be tethered to a computer each time you coldboot. This issue is partially mitigated by leaving the system in sleep mode rather than powering it off.
can't we just update via online/cart, and boot rcm before the console properly so the fuses don't get burnt?

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated from 3.0 to latest using "the method", then sx OS burned my fuses.

I m not pirating games but i really dont regret the update. If i were you i would update to latest keeping the fuses, sx doesnt burn them anymore.

If one day you need coldboot/softwarehax you could always revert.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't we just update via online/cart, and boot rcm before the console properly so the fuses don't get burnt?
If you're confident that you can boot into RCM with a 100% success rate, then doing something like this is possible. You'll want to install AutoRCM immediately after getting into RCM.

I don't recommend this method because of the significant chance of failure and having your efuses irreparably burnt in an instant.

Reactions: cearp

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have a lot to gain though you do lose certain homebrew apps that dont work on newer FW mostly emu's

Reactions: Lumince

Snowhose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was on 3.0.0 until about a week ago, waiting for atmosphere. The wait wasn’t worth it! I’m happy with 5.0.1. Playing newer titles is absolutely worth it. Plus most home brew is compatible.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh, it wont matter what fw you are on for all the stuff coming out.

So you have a few options.
1. Stay on 3.0 and let it collect dust still
2. If there are games you'd like to play that are on higher fw, then you can use this guide-
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...fficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/to update to which fw you want. Want to play SMO? Update to 3.0.1.
But if you update to 4.0 or above... your card reader will get updated and you cant play carts on 3.0.0 any longer. (There was something that was added to stop this, but you have to boot hekate with the specific kip everytime so it doesnt get updated.

3. Just update and decide what you want to do. Online play and homebrew probably wont be able to mix... Bans will start to show up even more often after a while imo.

My opinion, I would either update with the guide, or just update if you dont want to keep the door to stay open to 3.0.0.

lordpsycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I also have a 3.0 switch gathering dust and waiting for Atmosphere or other thing for backup loading (aka piracy)
Personally I have so many things to play on PS4, legit and non-legit, that I'd rather wait a couple of years more (not interested in SX)
I just turn on the switch every couple of months to see it's still alive (no battery drain bug)

derekzoolander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Biff627

Do you happen to know the thread where it discusses the solution around not breaking your cart slot past 4.0? I have been skipping out on this method because I want to retain that functionality...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Biff627

Do you happen to know the thread where it discusses the solution around not breaking your cart slot past 4.0? I have been skipping out on this method because I want to retain that functionality...
It's in the same thread that updates without burning fuses: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

In a nutshell, it breaks the cartridge slot completely to prevent it from being updated so you cannot play cartridges on any firmware as long as you have the fix. Ideally, remove it when you return to a lower firmware.

Reactions: derekzoolander

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT