Warn-free Since 2005
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
With the Wii 2 Rumor... I usually buy console games really late, but IDK if I should personally... I kinda want to play Wii but. or just get an Xbox 360? I'm not getting a PS3 since I don't have money for that, that's for sure.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii is a nice system as it deviates from the userbase of the PS3 and the 360; It's not all "hardcore" FPSs.

And with the 169.99 pricetag, it's a bargain. You also get Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort in all the new ones I think. Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy... Great games.

Toasty

Queen
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Get a used Wii for cheap, I'd say it's totally worth it. Being able to emulate older games on it, watch DVDs (assuming the Wii you bought is old enough), and pirate [to try out before you buy of course
wink.gif
] Wii games is great. There's a few titles that are actually worth buying, namely Smash Bros. Brawl, New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, and Twilight Princess.

By the way, the PlayStation 3 is a great system too!

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
CCNaru said:
With the Wii 2 Rumor... I usually buy console games really late, but IDK if I should personally... I kinda want to play Wii but. or just get an Xbox 360? I'm not getting a PS3 since I don't have money for that, that's for sure.
If you're just jumping into Wii ownership, now is a good time. It has a great backlog of games and it has a lot of good homebrew.

iceissocold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or you could actually just wait. The price hasn't officially dropped yet and Best Buy has gone ahead and dropped it ahead of schedule. It might drop a bit lower than that when the drop actually happens.

I use to have a Wii but got rid of it for an Xbox 360. Plan to buy a Black Wii once the price drops hits and then invest into one of those WODE's and an external HDD.
smile.gif

Donkey Plonk

Trophies
XP
Country
iceissocold said:
Or you could actually just wait. The price hasn't officially dropped yet and Best Buy has gone ahead and dropped it ahead of schedule. It might drop a bit lower than that when the drop actually happens.

I use to have a Wii but got rid of it for an Xbox 360. Plan to buy a Black Wii once the price drops hits and then invest into one of those WODE's and an external HDD.
smile.gif

Wodes are a waste, you can achieve mostly the same for free.

QUOTE(mrpinkeye @ Apr 18 2011, 04:49AM) i used to laugh at the wii and loved 360 and ps3
Meaning now you don't? Really struggling to get the point of saying this?

OP, if you don't ever buy current gen consoles and are just thinking of getting a wii now, and I'm assuming this is down to price, if so, just get a wii now. Wii2 is only a rumour at best, plus even if it is announced at E3, it will still be ages before release, and then, it will likely be very expensive as ps3 is now (which you have already said is too expensive), so save yourself a wait and heartbreak when you can't afford it. There is plenty of fun for you to have with a wii

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps3 and 360 are the same price, as the 4 GB 360 is a waste of money. if you bought a 360 without a hard drive, you'd be kicking yourself pretty quickly. so get the idea that a ps3 is too expensive out of your head, it's just not the case any more.

and if you're just now considering a wii, how in the world would it be "too late?" have you played any of the amazing games that are on the console? zelda, mario, FF, no more heroes, metroid, lost in shadows, kirby's epic yarn, MH3, etc. there's plenty to keep you busy, even if the future releases aren't looking so hot. and since saving money seems to be the name of the game, i find the fact that you're considering future releases to be such a priority, since they'll cost the most.

and as far as "ages" go for the wii2, if rumors are true, it will be announced in a few weeks and out next year. hardly "ages." and since all there is to go on is rumors at the moment, i don't know where that idea came from.

all of this also neglects what games you actually want to play and whether or not you want to do more than play games or not. the wii doesn't really do extra stuff all that great, even homebrewed. it also fails as a multiplayer console, few gems aside. without actually knowing where your particular tastes lie, any recommendation will just be based on someone's own tastes, and not your own.

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wait just a little for the price cut. Maybe it goest to 149.99$

Anyway, the fair price would be 99.99$, imo.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I would wait 'till E3 has passed. If that rumour stream turns out to be right (it's possible), then the price of the wii will drop.

A new wii generally comes with a wiimote (or 2? check what you get!), a nunchuk (basically a joystick you need for roughly half the games) and the needed cables 'n stuff (one power cable, one RGB cable, one sensor bar). Enough to get you going.

It's a good idea to get a component cable as well (much better quality), and I haven't regretted getting a classic controller (though I'd take a 'pro' one right now).

For homebrew purposes...a new wii will come with a firmware that needs one of a few games, so you'll need one of those (check the list, make your pick). Furthermore, you need a SD card (2GB is good enough) and it's best to get a decently sized USB drive as well.

If you want to play gamecube games, you'll need a gamecube controller and a memory card for it. And an SD gecko if you want to play backups from SD card.

The motion plus addition is something optional (some newer controllers have it built in). It's needed for only a few games (e.g.wii sports resorts, red steel 2 and that upcoming Zelda game), so unless you get it with your system, I wouldn't buy it straight away.

The wii isn't able to do anything HD related.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Bladexdsl said:
only reason now would be for homebrew/emulation but the wii is pretty much dead and buried. only zelda is left for it.
because the rest of the good games were eaten by a grue?
like smg ssbb mpt resi4 okami nsmb

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's the reason to buy any console or handheld? To play games that you will enjoy. It doesn't matter if a console or handheld are at the end of their run. If that mattered at all people wouldn't still be buying Dreamcast and Gamecube or any other past gaming device. You should buy it because you want to, other people's opinion shouldn't affect your own.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
the wii is dead there's hardly any more releases left for it, it's been choked to death with SW even the WW IS SW and they've abandoned the VC. save your $ for the wii 2 or whatever it will be cos any $ it will be backwards compatible.

Bitbyte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
syko5150 said:
What's the reason to buy any console or handheld? To play games that you will enjoy. It doesn't matter if a console or handheld are at the end of their run. If that mattered at all people wouldn't still be buying Dreamcast and Gamecube or any other past gaming device. You should buy it because you want to, other people's opinion shouldn't affect your own.

Exactly. What's it matter if it's at the end of its life? It'd be very worth it for both people who buy their games and for pirates. The best games can either be gotten really cheap by now, or you can just download them. Wii got a couple really awesome games, lots of 1st party top titles but also quite a few amazing games from third party. I don't think you'd ever regret getting one, especially if you can just download your games.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
the wii is dead there's hardly any more releases left for it, it's been choked to death with SW even the WW IS SW and they've abandoned the VC. save your $ for the wii 2 or whatever it will be cos any $ it will be backwards compatible.

I certainly hope it will be backwards compatible, but I'm not sure if that makes much sense. Surprisingly Nintendo has maintained the backwards compatibility route while Sony and MS have all but abandoned it. If the archtiecture is similar then maybe they'll have it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though, since attachment rates of the Wii have been very very low. Most people only have Wii Sports so losing backwards compatibility for most of the 84 million consoles out there would be moot as long as Wii Sports HD came with the Wii2.

They really need to do more online integration. With Apple poised to kill them in the hand held market, they should do something like having VC/WW/IS stuff on the Wii2 be downloadable to the 3DS or whatever their next handheld is. That would tie their 2 strongest assets together and hopefully stave off Apple's encroachment into the handheld market.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Bladexdsl said:

I certainly hope it will be backwards compatible, but I'm not sure if that makes much sense. Surprisingly Nintendo has maintained the backwards compatibility route while Sony and MS have all but abandoned it. If the archtiecture is similar then maybe they'll have it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing though, since attachment rates of the Wii have been very very low. Most people only have Wii Sports so losing backwards compatibility for most of the 84 million consoles out there would be moot as long as Wii Sports HD came with the Wii2.

They really need to do more online integration. With Apple poised to kill them in the hand held market, they should do something like having VC/WW/IS stuff on the Wii2 be downloadable to the 3DS or whatever their next handheld is. That would tie their 2 strongest assets together and hopefully stave off Apple's encroachment into the handheld market.

695 million pieces of software sold as of Dec. '10 (more than PS360 combined--which have a larger userbase, combined, than Wii), and you think that all people buy is WiiSports?? Man, that is a lot of WiiSports...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2