Hacking Any problems with EDGE flashcart?

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Any EDGEHeads around (pun intended)? I wanna know about your experience with the EDGE flashcart because I'm planning to buy a new flash cart. Is there a flaw in the cart itself or things like a certain game not working? Have there been issues that are resolved by an updated firmware?

Also, if you're from the UK, where did you buy it? I'm thinking of consoleup.com because I ordered my DSTT there and it came in 3 days. Pretty quick.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't have an Edge myself, but I believe the cheat codes issue has been resolved by Yasu (the cheat code database isn't in a standard format, but apparently Yasu figured out the format and added it to his cheat code editor).

The biggest complaint I've seen is that apparently the microSD card sticks out when fully inserted on some (most?) of the carts.

-Bri

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
fatherjack said:
EDGE is a great piece of kit.

fast menus, fully skinnable (CycloDS skins), and SDHC support, I would recommend it.

If you're happy with your previous supplier then stick with them. DX have them real cheap, see link here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=83587

When did you buy it? Did you have problems with the flash cart itself (microSD doesn't fit)?

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
fatherjack said:
EDGE is a great piece of kit.

fast menus, fully skinnable (CycloDS skins), and SDHC support, I would recommend it.

but the yellow folder cannot be change. too bad.

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) bought mine only last month thru colourful-zone.com - no problems with seller at all.
received the black case type and yeah, SD card sticks out about a millimeter.

2) Know what you mean about that folder in the rom list, I'd like to kill it also!

biggyfred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rjbr2000 said:
Any EDGEHeads around (pun intended)? I wanna know about your experience with the EDGE flashcart because I'm planning to buy a new flash cart. Is there a flaw in the cart itself or things like a certain game not working? Have there been issues that are resolved by an updated firmware?

I have no frame of reference, so take from this what you may. I had my first EDGE card die on me in a way that made me think that it was the kind of death that comes randomly and isn't a part of a bigger issue. Again, I base this on 15 years of working with electronic gear, but not specifically with DS carts.

Thread here detailing the death: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=81917

Having said all of that, I have been quite pleased with my replacement EDGE card. The miniSD card does stick out, but not anywhere near enough to bother me.

That's probably not the most sterling of supportive posts, but I would buy it again.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only thing I can add and restate, is you have a good chance of getting an Edge where the MicroSD sticks out, and by stick out it's literally a millimeter. Besides a couple incidents where the Edge just died, it works well. Out of 4, all of them are working well, haven't had any problems with them. All the games I've thrown at them work. I'd say it is one of the better budget carts out there if not the best budget cart.

Topfragger

Trophies
XP
Country
Socially resposibility reasons, i would not recommend it, seeing as how the Edge team just sells you a cyclo DS clone, sure it's a good quality clone and not completely 1on 1 clone

but still they obviously hooked up with the same manufacturer by making Cyclos for Edge.
Edge firmware is also clone of earlier Cyclo DS firmware, the fact Edge Team haven't made any acknowledgement to Cyclops for the card inheriting the Cyclo DS build kinda puts me off.

i personally would not support copycats who act like they made something when it was all someone elses labor that created it.

Conclusion

good card, lousy ethics on behalf of its makers
i'd rather DSTT or AK2

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Topfragger,

The design of the Edge firmware is obviously modeled after the design of earlier CycloDS firmware, but as far as I know that's where the similarities between the two carts end. I don't think the Edge is claimed to be compatible with the CycloDS at all, and it's firmware is not the same as the CycloDS firmware (the CycloDS firmware doesn't run on the Edge or vice versa). As far as I know, there is no evidence that the manufacturer of the Edge is the same as the manufacturer of the CycloDS. In other words, it's not a clone of the CycloDS and they didn't use anything that belongs to the manufacturers of the CycloDS except perhaps the look and feel of the firmware.

-Bri

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If your interested in cheats for the Edge flashcard, I have an EDGE compatible cheat file in my sig.
smile.gif

At any rate, I don't own an EDGE myself but my friend does. Its a really nice cart for its price, some nice features and he hasn't had any problems with it.

Topfragger

Trophies
XP
Country
ORLY not a clone?

why does the shell have the EXACT same details as the Cyclo?

why does the PCB look like a slightly altered variant of the Cyclo?

Why is it that the Edge inherited the Cyclos unflush MicroSD slot?

Why is it the Edge has the same label size and shape?

Why does the Website use the exact same menu text as the Cyclo?

just because the firmware doesn't work interchangeably on both cards means nothing.
like i said Edge cloned the earlier Cyclo firmware and modified it.
it's still stealing, just as it would be stealing to take a game and modify it's engine and graphics then sell it without permission or liscense from the original developers.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of no evidence that Edge actually modified the CycloDS firmware. I also don't see any graphics that are exactly the same as the CycloDS's menu.

Look at the images in the reviews on this site. The two carts don't appear to be the same at all.

The two carts don't look anything alike inside. Compare this (Edge) with this (CycloDS).

The shell isn't the same either (the microSD slot isn't even on the same side). Compare this (Edge) with this (CycloDS).

The label size and shape aren't the same either. Compare this (Edge) with this (CycloDS).

Have you actually visited the two websites? What menu text on the Edge website are you saying is the same?

If you're saying that they stole the CycloDS unflush microSD slot -- well...I guess you got me there! Clever of them to steal a flaw in the hardware to make people think they're buying a CycloDS even though the carts appear to be completely different in every other respect! Downright dastardly!

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The only thing that was incorrect? The person in the video admits that he has no proof that that Edge is a clone of the CycloDS.

According to the video...it has a similar chip inside which, as you pointed out, all flash carts have. Then he presents two pictures which clearly show that the insides of the two carts are different. Then he says that the sticker on the outside of the Edge has the same "thingy" as the CycloDS. Unfortunately, he never really says what "thingy" he's taking about (both stickers look pretty much like any other flash cart sticker and are not alike).

He goes on to claim that the Edge completely copied the CycloDS manual, and then actually looks at them and admits that they're not the same at all saying "I'm not doing a very good job of proving my point here..."

Near the end of the video, he says "I have not proved this but one user says that the Edge is a clone of the CycloDS ... Now I can't prove that but I fully believe that statement and would not be surprised if it was true..."

Are you really going to use this video as evidence that the Edge is a clone of the CycloDS?

-Bri

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having used both carts myself, I'm pretty sure the EDGE is using a reverse-engineered copy of the original CycloDS Evo firmware. The look and feel of the menus is identical, skins are interchangeable, they use the same structure for their cheat database. If they didn't have different logos on them, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

The casing is almost identical to the black CycloDS as well (the CycloDS in the GBAtemp review is the original white one). Watch at 0:30 and you get a good look at the more recent casing:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OYrI-f1jDSk

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Having used both carts myself, I'm pretty sure the EDGE is using a reverse-engineered copy of the original CycloDS Evo firmware. The look and feel of the menus is identical, skins are interchangeable, they use the same structure for their cheat database. If they didn't have different logos on them, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Here's your proof:

http://www.monroeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12255

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Hardly "proof", as many carts share similar PCB design.

Does further reinforce the fact that its a clone however.

rolleyes.gif

Well, whatever you want to call it. I was simply adding to your GUI observation with the fact that they share a very similar PCB design. Those two things combined pretty much nails that the EDGE is a clone. Not to mention that their updates come shortly after any CycloDS updates.
smile.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Urza: The casing does look much more like the black CycloDS than the white one. So does the black CycloDS have the microSD slot on the opposite side as the white one?

sk3tch said:
Urza said:

Here's your proof:

http://www.monroeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12255

I like this line from your link:

hmmmmmm...NOW do you believe that this is truly a clone? Just wanted people to know and to steer clear of this card. Its just and overpriced CycloDS.

If it's a clone, why doesn't the Edge run the CycloDS firmware (and have the slo-mo and other goodies)? I'm not saying it's not a clone, but they might have simply copied the look and feel of the CycloDS firmware and the structure of the files (skins, cheat codes, etc). It's clear that the Edge is trying to ride on the success of the CycloDS, but the evidence is far from conclusive that it's actually a clone.

-Bri

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.